Scout Saves His Dad From Electrocution

http://www.wdam.com/story/29523046/missouri-boy-called-a-hero-for-saving-dad-from-electrocution

FREDERICKTOWN, MO: A 13-year-old boy is being called a hero for saving his dad's life.

It happened as the father and son, from Fredericktown, were fixing a broken air conditioning unit.

Trevan West has been a boy scout for three years. He said its taught him what to do during any type of emergency.

A skill he put to good use in real life.

"I ran up to it and I grabbed it and it shocked me, so I tackled him to get it off of him,†described West.

During a routine task, West's dad touched the wrong piece of an air conditioning unit at the wrong time. It sent 240 volts of electricity through his hand, up his arm and out of his back. (link above has burn photos)

"When I got him off of it, his lips started turning blue and he was biting on his tongue,†he said.

West said he tackled his dad in order to get him to release the the piece of metal.

Right as he was about to perform CPR, "He just woke up,†he said.

And if the tackle didn't work because the muscles were frozen, they could both be dead.  #1 rule of emergency medical rescues is don't endanger yourself or there will be two rescues needed.

• Upvote 1