This showed up in my google now recommended reading today

http://scoutingmagazine.org/2015/04/how-to-create-a-pack-handbook/

I have thought about doing something like this often....

but then I feel like it adds redundancy

and it adds one more thing that folks won't read

and it's one more job, that someone need to keep it updated.

and since I was already wearing way too many hats, with nobody in a position I could delegate this to.... it has always been dropped

It strikes me that 99% of this stuff is already published by BSA, and other places such as boyscouttrail, usscouts.org, etc.... anyway

BUT it's not collected in one easy to read thing to give to new and old unit parents and boys

Seems like this is something the BSA could do, with all the money saved in not sending out those membership cards

.... I'm imagining them publishing a template, short, clear, concise outline bullet points or "ten commandments"

The only things in it that really should need to be customizable are email/contact info, meeting time and place, etc...

Rules, parent expectations, the way the unit operates, etc... really could be almost universal.

sadly though, it seems no two units operate the same.... might argue that this is good, but i think mostly not so much

The boy led patrol thing is a prime example of a simple and proven concept that gets mixed up, interpreted, and jumbled into countless variations.

I figure if the BSA would publish a bullet point outline, such as...

how the troop functions

10 commandments for parents

etc....

Then it would be much easier for units to stay on track

Leaders wouldn't have to feel like they need to reinvent the wheel every time

& easier for new parents to jump in and get the concept

I know it'll never happen, but just something rattling around in my head....

We have a unit handbook. It condenses all the BSA things we need the scouts and parents to know in to one book. We edit it to keep it short. We add troop operations in there too. We had a mom who was a professional editor review and further condense. We update annually or as needed. Really helps avoid Easter egg hunting the net for the same stuff.

I've always liked our pack handbook.  

http://woodbury56.mypack.us/system/files/P56Handbook20140910.pdf  

It needs some updates and I've found a few typos still in there.  I still think it's good, but I'm biased.  I wrote it.   :)

First of all welcome to the forum.

You should do well, your first post is very impressive, well done on the handbook!

yes indeed!

See if you can sell it to BSA, like the scoutbook guy did with his code!

I can see a lot of work went into that

Taking the risk of derailing the thread with a rat trail......

One question @@Peter H....

I didn't read every word, but skimming through it I noticed something about a requirement that parents were not allowed to sign off on WEBELOS requirements.  Is that a unit tradition thing?

I must admit I read something similar to that a long time ago, and thought it the case.... but once my son progressed to WEBELOS, neither me or his DL could find it in the handbook.

I didn't read every word, but skimming through it I noticed something about a requirement that parents were not allowed to sign off on WEBELOS requirements.  Is that a unit tradition thing?

I must admit I read something similar to that a long time ago, and thought it the case.... but once my son progressed to WEBELOS, neither me or his DL could find it in the handbook.

Many units have done that sort of thing. It's not always a workable policy. Its success really depends on how much the DL can rely on den chiefs and other parents to run the program while they review handbooks.

One potential advantage for unit-produced literature is that is could be well-written.

well yes, ok fine.

You see.... there's always an angle that you don't see.

good one!

Edited by blw2

For example, were you to write a procedure involving the Scoutmaster, I predict you would refer to the "Scoutmaster."  BSA may refer to the "Scoutmaster," the "Troop Leader" or the "troop leader," and leave you to puzzle out whom that might be.  

Were you to describe a role for your Senior Patrol Leader, you would likely call him the "Senior Patrol Leader".  BSA consistently refers to someone as the "senior patrol leader" when it usually means the Senior Patrol Leader ( and not the senior Patrol Leader, who once led the troop on the relatively rare occasion of a troop activity in Boy Scouting.).  English as a second language and all that.

We have had entire threads here that come down to BSA's inability to write clearly.  My least favorite example is the syllabus section on the Patrol Method that does not explain what the Patrol Method is - or even have such an explanation as a goal.

well now actually I'll bet you'd see.... well in fact you do when you do a google search for unit versions of this that are already out there.....

far more variations in bad English usage, improper punctuation, and the like.... when it's left to the masses to cobble together their own things

at least if we were using one template, the odds are very much better at least for consistency

But in reality, is the senior patrol leader the senior most patrol leader

or is he the patrol leader of the senior patrol

or... could he be the Patrol Leader's senior?

What do I know? I'm an engineer....

Where's an English Major when you need one????

I've never had the time or inclination to write a pack handbook.

My method starts with forming a "Bobcat Den": of new boys and parents recruited during fall and spring recruiting drives.  We have a fun activity like a Raingutter Regatta as a recruiting night,  along with pack members.

The following week we have a first den meeting of the Bobcat Den of newly recruited boys and parents.  We have an activity like making a hot dog roasting stick using bolt cutters, loppers and a drill,  which illustrates to parents why their participation is needed and rewarding,  since their boys NEED them to do the project. AQs part of the first den meeting, we start going over Bobcat requirements and parents and Scouts received a "Bobcat Handbook" that describes the Bobcat requirements and encourages parents to complete requirements with their boys.

The following weekend,  we have a fun hike and hot dog roast.  It's not a challenging death march,  it's a fun walk during which boys discover how to use a map and lead themselves along the route of the hike.  We go over additional Bobcat requirements during the hike and hot dog roast.

By the time these activities who have been paying attention should have a basic working knowledge of how Cub Scouts work.

Unfortunately,  few parents seem much inclined to read stuff (not that they can't,  they usually just don't).  So I prefer showing people how Cub Scouts works by putting boys and parents into good Cub Scout activities so they can SEE and FEEL how Cub Scouts is supposed to work.

That's the best method I've figured out.... so far.