Troop Self-Assessment, Short- and Long-term Camping Scores

Has anyone sat down with the Key-3 to fill out and discuss the Troop self-assessment? It's a new tool that commissioners are using to gauge the health of each unit, Pack, Troops, Crews, Teams, etc.

I know that we are struggling to maintain membership levels and recruiting has been an issue for many years. That's no surprise. What is really bothering me, though, is that we must grade ourselves (1-5) on our short- and long-term camping program. In the past this was never an issue. Now, however, camping just isn't on the radar for my two Patrols. Sure, a few Scouts love it but the majority of the Troop is content with a) not doing anything or b) day activities that don't include sleeping outside.

My background if heavy in camping, nature, and general outdoors-i-ness. And to have to assess my Troop as severely lacking in short- and long-term camping is a blow to my heart.

We are seeing STEM take over in many areas. I wonder if that will eventually become the category with camping going by the wayside? I just don't know.

I don't see STEM taking over anything. It would be a pleasant surprise to find out that what kids were doing instead of camping was science experiments, engineering projects, or Math equations. How many of your scouts spent this weekend doing that rather than camping?

There is no magic, but sit down with your scouts and figure out why they don't want to camp. Is the troop offering outings designed by te scouts? Are you letting them set the agenda or decide to not have an agenda? Are there places they would like to go but they aren't getting support to do so? It may be the answer to all these questions is that the scouts just really want to not do anything, but maybe placing a little challenge in front of them to go camp where and how they want to camp can jump start enough interest that your troop is at least offering the opportunity to get out in the woods once a month.