Our troop didn't have a bugler. My son plays trumpet and thought it would be fun to try. He also wanted to earn the MB since it is one of the originals and his Eagle Uncle encouraged him (he got his trumpet instructor to sign up as a counselor). Also, he needed a PoR to advance to Star and he could do Bugler now (he is APL and next in line for PL) Met with SM and SPL to see if they wanted a bugler and if he could try. He spent a month working on Taps, Assembly, and Reveille to feel confident enough to play in public. Played Reveille and Taps at a recent campout. No Doc Severensen but the other boys thought it was cool and all the Adults loved it which gave him a boost since he s his own worst critic. Now he does Assembly just before every meeting starts. It is chaos with all the boys running around, or conferences going, etc and he plays and they all drop what they are doing and line up for flags. Fun to watch. Again, not a pro. he cant get the real high notes but he is a good enough musician (a few ears of piano) where he figured out how too drop an octave and at least play the song.

Anyway, a long story about one kid but my point is it is nice having a bugler. The bugler benefits, the Troop benefits. The kids and adults all like it.

We don't currently have one. When I was a boy scout I was the bugler. I had a cornet and then later a trumpet. Couldn't see the need to spend money on something that I only used once a month or so. The trumpet got heavy use in marching band, pep band, concert band, etc.

I was told that holding the first and third valves down would approximate the bugle key. I never saw the use for that though because the 'tune' would work with any valve combination.

First and third lets you start of with a low D instead of a middle G and effectively buys you a "step down" as far as lip goes. Although I played though part of college, I never had enough music theory to know what the proper terminology is for the steps.

Tourist in New York stops an older man on the street and asks,"hey, pops, how do you get to Lincoln Center?" The older man looks up, points his finger and says "PRACTICE! my boy, PRACTICE!"

A good bugler should be able to reach 5 notes, and six with desire. Maybe not the 8th grader, but I can do it if you give me a week to get my lip back!

Buy the Bach 12C mouthpiece, you'll be glad you did....