When to award Arrow of Light Patch

So the three scouts are my son, the committee chairs son and one other boys. The committee chair has said from last year that she doesn't want her son going to the troop until corvis solver in May. No idea what she expects her son to do but whatever. My son is very gung-ho about going to the Boy Scouts now! He will be 11 in Jan and just wants to join. The other kid doesn't seem to care one way or the other. Also I will be taking over as committee chair next year so I'm trying to ruffle as little feathers as possible. Which is why I just won't award now and be done. Plus I still have the rest of the year to deal with them. I still haven't heard back from the cub master as to what the COR said.

From the BSA Guide to Advancement:

3.0.0.3 Unit Advancement Responsibilities

Unit advancement coordinators (or chairs) and those

who assist them have the basic responsibility to support

the unit’s advancement program, to maximize rank

achievement, and otherwise facilitate a smooth

implementation of the process. Specific responsibilities

are outlined in the leader literature for each program.

The following responsibilities are not all-inclusive,

but typical.

1. Support and facilitate the unit leader’s vision for

advancement, providing consultation on the policies

and procedures put forth in the Guide to Advancement.

2. Educate parents, guardians, unit leadership,

and committee members on appropriate methods to

stimulate and encourage advancement. For example,

help build unit programming rich in advancement

opportunities, encourage members who are

advancing slowly, and post advancement charts.

3. Help plan, facilitate, or conduct advancement

ceremonies. In troops, teams, and crews, schedule

and support regular courts of honorâ€â€quarterly is

generally sufficient. Ships will want regular

bridges of honor, and packs should make

recognition a key part of every pack meeting.

4. Obtain necessary badges and certificates, etc.,

and arrange for timely presentation of ranks,

Arrow Points, merit badges, awards, and other

recognitions. It is best to obtain and present these

as soon as possible after they are earned. They

can then be re-presented in more formal settings.

So according to 3.0.0.3-4, awards should be given out ASAP after they are earned. If the Pack wants to have an additional ceremony later on, that is up to them. Attendance at that additional ceremony is up to the boy and his family.

/Thread

For several reasons, my pack now crosses over in December. Reasons include the following:

1) December 1 is the earliest they can cross over with the 6 months since completing 4th grade requirement.

2) Because we do have an active Webelos program, and do year round activities, they are chomping at the bit to become Boy Scouts.

3) We recharter in January, so by Crossing Over in December, we avoid recharter headaches

4) Most troops are preparing for summer camp in the Jan-Feb time frame, and we want those new Scouts to be able to go to summer camp.

5) It gives the new scouts, and more importantly the new scout parents, time to get adjusted to the troop, get a few Boy Scout camp outs under their belt, and prepare them for summer camp.

6) Did I mention that the Webelos are getting bored and are chomping at the bit to be come Boy Scouts? ;)

I'm kinda like Inigo Montaya, "I hate waiting." And the Webelos I've encountered are like that too.

Thoughts: *1) Award the award at the next available Pack meeting, whatever it is. AoL, Bear , Arrow point, give it to the Cub with due pomp.

*2) If the Cub wants to join Boy Scouts, grease the skids for him, but ENCOURAGE him to stick around for the B&G at least to get the Cross Over ceremony and "Attaboys" from the Pack and family and Troop.

*3) If the Cub's parents want him to stick around (or the Pack somehow requires him to. Why?) then , as a Senior Cub (!!), give him/them some responsibility to the other , younger Cubs. Flag ceremony, PWD work, teach and mentor (like a Den Chief?) the Tigers or Wolfs (wolves?) in their requirements. GIve the boy something to LIVE UP TO, rather than something to GET OUT OF. This will serve the boy well in Boy Scouts.

*4) Make sure the Cub realizes your pride in his accomplishments, and make sure he has some accomplishments (not just "rubber stamps") for you to have pride in. They WILL know the difference.