Cub Master over worked

during my "speach" I reminded everyone that Cub Scouts is a volunteer organization and those volunteers come from the parents. Explain that the only way to make the Pack better is to have more people help. make sure to offer that you are available to assist with the planing but will not be able to actually do the work. If no one signs up pick the one or two activities you want to do and cancel the rest.

With your son as a W2 make sure his den is doing things. As WEBELOS they can do things as a den, like camping, that the other dens can't do. There is nothing wrong with you concentrating on doing things with son's den and not the Pack.

• 4 weeks later...

Rather than asking for volunteers, it's FAR more effective to review your den and pack roster and look for the parents who have the potential to be effective leaders. Then ask them to do specific tasks.

When registering new Cub Scouts, I copy information on the adult into the pack records from the Youth Application. That includes the adult's DOB, occupation, employer, previous Scouting experience and such.

Often that's a useful guide to people who may have the education, intelligence and leisure to be leaders. But there are others without such credentials who can be good leaders too.

Get to know your parents, and ask them to help you out on various tasks.

The classic weak pack has the "Cubmaster Who Does Everything." When that person leaves ( and EVERYONE leaves, eventually) you have left a VERY deep hole for a pack to climb out of.

• Upvote 1