What own positions have your troop made?

A fellow scout of mine wanted to have a postion, but we didnt think he could hold any of the positions alreadt given. So we made our own.

Ropemaster--this scout reports to the Senior Patrol Leader, and is responsible for teaching scout the required knots and having knowledge of other knots.

He loves this position, since everyone in our troop knew he could tie knots very good(he can tie them behide his back), now everyone knows he is very good at tieing knots.

What other positions have your troop made?

SPL... actually the position you assigned him sure does sound like "Instructor" to me. If I recall correclty Instructor is a leadership position that his held by scouts. and only needs to be proficient in the area of which he is instucting and by the sounds of it you got a good one.

Now if your looking towards "made up" positions we have one called the Gamemaster (responsible for brining the balls to the meeting.)

Scoutmaster Ron,

Just as SPLT15's "Ropemaster" is probably really an Instructor, it could be argued that your "Gamemaster" is really a second Quartermaster -- but it also doesn't sound like the "Gamemaster" would qualify as a whole "position of responsibility" -- whereas the Ropemaster/Instructor sounds like it would qualify.

We also have another one---Grub Master

He is elected once a month, and is responsible for getting the food needed for that months camp-out. He reports to the Quartermaster and/or the SPL.

I am also the Webmaster, and the "Scouting Historian"- means that if they have a question about the history of the BSA, Scouting Movements, and other Scouting Orgainzations, they come to me.

There are official-looking patchs for the "made-up" position of Webmaster available on the internet. Seems like BSA should eventually take charge of this important position and include it in the troop.

Added this after I saw the post below: Yes it should be an adult.(This message has been edited by KA6BSA)

It is interesting how the leadership positions in Scouting have changed in modern times... When I was a Scout each patrol was expected to have its own Bugler. You can imagine what a racket that was at assembly time! In the time of Baden-Powell he assigned boys to be Sentries with duties similar to those in the army... here is a quotation from B-P on the experience at his first summer camp at Brownsea Island. "On arrival at the spot, fires were lit and suppers cooked, after which sentries were posted and bivouac formed. The picket was scouted by Patrol Leaders of other patrols and myself, at some time before eleven p.m., after which the sentries were withdrawn and picket settled down for the night."

Nowadays the Scoutmaster is allowed to assign positions for a "leadership project to help the troop" (quoting from the Handbook) and these count as leadership tenure for ranks of Star or Life but not Eagle. Bugler is not on the Eagle list of positions either, but it still is for Star and Life. According to the requirements a made-up position would not count for rank unless it was actually an Instructor position or approved as a SM's project. Our own troop has a Gamemaster and depends on him not just to bring a ball to troop meeting but to organize and lead the game, probably more important to the boys than the position of Librarian. We also have several Instructors that are specialized in Pioneering, First Aid, Aquatics, and Backpacking. Each of those positions has additional requirements consisting of the appropriate merit badges (and certifications for first aid or aquatics). Our PLC decided that all instructors in our troop must have earned Camping merit badge to make sure they have enough experience in general, rather than setting a minimum age.(This message has been edited by KA6BSA)

Our troop has several positions we established. Each of these positions hold the office of Instructor.

Medic - has responsibilities for training First Aid and maintaining the troop First Aid kit.

Fire Warden - teaches fire safety and inspects for fire safety during campouts. Helps scouts earn their Firem'n Chit.

Paul Bunyan - maintains the axe yard and its equipment. Ensures that axe, saw, and hatchet are in good working order and used properly. He also helps scouts earn their Tot'n Chip.

We are also trialing a leadership project for troop photographer, not sure if we'll make it an official position just yet.

The closest we have to a "made-up" position our our Patrol Quartermasters. I've structured our boys' responsibilities so that we have four Quartermasters, three of whom, while sharing some of the responsibilities of the troop Quartermaster, are responsible for maintaining patrol boxes, tents, first aid kits, etc. The patrol QMs report to both the PLs and the troop QM, but because it's a regular job that requires constant leadership and work, I've chosen to recognize it (say, as opposed to Assistant Patrol Leader or other patrol functions that don't require all that much work).

I have another question, and i know already KA6BSA will have something to say, but a scout wanted to know if i or another older scout could be a merit badge conselor. Is this true or not? I beleve you can't, but I've been told that if you have the merit badge and you have permition to do, you can be it. I think you can't but i came here so I can show the truth.

Thanks again.

SPL,

You have good intentions to help out with the instructions with the troop, however, the only way you can be a merit badge counselor is be to 18+ years of age (21+ for shotgun and rifle and be NRA qualified) and be registered as a counselor for that merit badge. It doesn't mean that you can't help out in teaching these to your younger Scouts (with the approval of the merit badge counselor), but the counseling and signing off part needs to be done by an actual merit badge counselor with the appropriate 2-deep leadership.

Also, teaching merit badges should not be done at a troop meeting. Merit badges should be done on the scout's own determination on his own agenda outside of the meetings. If you want to help out teaching a merit badge during a patrol meeting separate from the troop, you can do so... if it's up to the members of the patrol.

Dale

Thank you DDHII,

Our Scoutmaster has been letting older scouts help out with merit badges, never let us sign them off.

If you had earned the merit bade, and you were in the Venturering Patrol, he would let you help the scout get all of the requirements done, and then go to him for the final signature.

Just wondering if I personally could sign them off, so thanks for letting me know this.