Christmas Parade Float

Our Pack usually did the Veterans' Day Parade. Walked at the head of the line with our banner' date=' and passed out candy provided by the VA. Enterprising little Cub Scouts started throwing the candy to kids sitting on the curb. Then they started throwing candy AT the homeless people panhandling the event...[/quote']

Oh my goodness! In our county, no one is allowed to throw candy in any of the parades we have. I know last year we had healthy snacks and flyers we handed out each time the parade stopped. I wonder if something like this is why we're not allowed to do that now (I'm not exactly sure when it changed, when I was a kid they still threw candy out.)

Let Faux News know about it. They can add it to their War on Christmas arsenal.
Our Pack usually did the Veterans' Day Parade. Walked at the head of the line with our banner, and passed out candy provided by the VA. Enterprising little Cub Scouts started throwing the candy to kids sitting on the curb. Then they started throwing candy AT the homeless people panhandling the event...
Our town also prohibits handouts but it's because a few years ago, a little girl was nearly fatally crushed by one of the floats as she tried to get handouts. I was standing right across from it with my daughter and her friend. I saw it happen and was too far away to do anything to stop it and it was sickening...a slow-motion forward by the trailer, little girl slips and falls under the tire, the entire weight of it rolls slowly up her body, crushing her so completely that she didn't even make a sound, and I'm pulling the kids around so they don't watch her skull crushed. But the driver finally realized the crowd was screaming at HIM so he stopped...right on top of her...and then slowly backed off of her body. It was horrendous. Her mother, on the side of the street, was apoplectic. My daughter asked me if she had just seen a child get killed. I told her I hoped not.

Fortunately, the little girl was not dead and after a few weeks in the hospital made a full recovery. But the scene is a constant source of torment in my mind...what if he had moved forward another 4 inches...just awful.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Fortune%20Products%20FLM-200%20Cauldron%20Flame%20Light%2C%209.75%22%20Bowl%20Diameter%20x%204.5%22%20Height%20

Strips of fabric to look like flames, mounted above a fan..... sometimes with lights, although for your purpose I would think red and orange fabric would do.

I've been toying with the idea of buying this or similar for use in pack meetings occasionally. Just wish it was bigger.

For yours, do you have a way to power a big box fan?

Our Pack usually did the Veterans' Day Parade. Walked at the head of the line with our banner' date=' and passed out candy provided by the VA. Enterprising little Cub Scouts started throwing the candy to kids sitting on the curb. Then they started throwing candy AT the homeless people panhandling the event...[/quote']

Oh my goodness! In our county, no one is allowed to throw candy in any of the parades we have. I know last year we had healthy snacks and flyers we handed out each time the parade stopped. I wonder if something like this is why we're not allowed to do that now (I'm not exactly sure when it changed, when I was a kid they still threw candy out.)

haha, yeah, crazy times. I was told we will hand out candy canes (and they are gonna see if council has anything for us to distribute), so that kinda counts! ;)
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Fortune%20Products%20FLM-200%20Cauldron%20Flame%20Light%2C%209.75%22%20Bowl%20Diameter%20x%204.5%22%20Height%20

Strips of fabric to look like flames, mounted above a fan..... sometimes with lights, although for your purpose I would think red and orange fabric would do.

I've been toying with the idea of buying this or similar for use in pack meetings occasionally. Just wish it was bigger.

For yours, do you have a way to power a big box fan?

We do :) I'd read using a silk type fabric but figured that would be too transparent and hard to see (even colored.) The fabric would be a better thought. I love that decoration, I might buy that for my house next Halloween!

I Guess We were Lucky around here in Texas.

we can still throw out Candy to Viewers along the Parade Route..

Several Years ago our pack did basically the Same thing..

A Winter Camping trip..

The Smallest Cubs who would get tired before the parade had concluded rode on the Decorated Trailer..All Participants on the Float remained seating at all times.

Everyone else walked besides the Float..

Last Year we did a Cabin with Fireplace...

Both years we used a Propane Fire in the Campfire and Fireplace...So real :)

I Guess We were Lucky around here in Texas.

we can still throw out Candy to Viewers along the Parade Route..

Several Years ago our pack did basically the Same thing..

A Winter Camping trip..

The Smallest Cubs who would get tired before the parade had concluded rode on the Decorated Trailer..All Participants on the Float remained seating at all times.

Everyone else walked besides the Float..

Last Year we did a Cabin with Fireplace...

Both years we used a Propane Fire in the Campfire and Fireplace...So real :)

Our boys ride bikes in our parade, but I always figured if we ever had a float with some walkers, the walkers could each carry a sign depicting one of Cub Scout's 12 Core Values.