the mad rush to Eagle before 2014

Sorry Skeptic, I forgot the forum is about whinning how national is killing everything. The lads in the troop I serve don't receive the releases from national and only know that there is a campout this month that is going to be fun. They get to hang out with their friends and play in the woods, paddle the waters, climb the rocks or other challenging stuff. The SPL and PLC plan a cooking contest every campout. Yes, every campout not just a once a year thing. Past menu items have included salmon cooked on cedar planks, Chinese from scratch, using box and dutch ovens, and other similar skill level items. Not because it was a MB requirement, but because they earned bragging rights that their Sat evening meal was better than all the other patrols.

How often do nine boys stay together in scouts for 11 years and all earn Eagle? Most attend all three high adventure bases? Half are BSA Lifeguards? Parents and adults can berate, whin, and nag but the boys still have to do some of the work themselves. They don't stay in until they age out because Mom said so, they stay in because they are having fun.

Boys drop out of scouts all the time for all sorts of reasons. This is just the most recent outcry over the current politcial hot button.

Again, I apologize. Now returning you to the regularly scheduled teeth nashing and second guessing about the demise of civilization...

• Downvote 1
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And I thought the rush was so they didn't have to do the Cooking MB.

It's gonna be a real sticker shock for some of these people when they realize there have been actively gay scouts earning Eagle prior to Jan 1st.   Stosh

That is the funniest thing I have read this week so far..

So an organization who you are quitting because you have a moral objection to it's membership policy. Your going to pause long enough to receive it's highest rank. WOW

I wonder if they morally object to the point that it doesn't end up on the lads college or job resume. I doubt it......Typical selfish US citizens, Not gonna call them Americans cause that would lump them in with the Canadians and Mexicans which are fine folks.

Just as funny as people who had an objection to the previous policy, but stayed in the program anyway, and listed their rank earned as an accomplishment all their lives