Does this Patrol Need Adult Supervision?

I'd like your input here...

Is there any reason why a patrol of four Scouts ranging in age from 13-17 should not be allowed to hike one mile with hedge trimmers and bow saws without adult supervision? Does the G2SS indicate that allowing a First Class Scout, a Life Scout, an Eagle Scout and a visiting 16-year old to hike a minimal distance with non-power tools is incorrect/unsafe? This was for a service project to clear brush...

A frustrated LeCastor...

This falls under the category of "nobody knows your boys like you do."

There is absolutely no reason on paper that this should be an issue if they are first class scouts (the concept, not the patch). But, if you have a boy who hasn't grown out of that firebug stage, or a boy who seems to weaponize every sharp he holds, an adult may need to at least drop in on them (maybe with warm drinks and pizza) at random intervals.

If someone is blowing smoke for seemingly no reason, you may need to ask them what experience they are basing this on, and be prepared to explain how these boys are different.

I'd have no problem with it, depending on the boys. There are some Scouts (First class or otherwise) that I wouldn't trust for this. There are some I would. Interestingly, in asking my sons about their fellow scouts, their views coincide with mine (and they are two of the Scouts I would trust in the above situation, but not the only two). I recently had a situation that about 5 mins into it, I had doubts. I had about 6 Boy Scouts and as many Webelos on a nature hike. The Webelos and a First Class Scout didn't want to go any further. We were about a quarter mile from the campsite. I let the Scout (who I do trust) bring all of the Webelos back. The rest of us went and did a few miles and came back. No problems.

The only reservation I would have would be: If you were dead sure, why would you be asking the forum for advice? If our comments don't hold any water, and you are sure these boys are up to it, then I'd say go for it. If you have reservations and are looking for support, that's a different story. From what you have laid out. I personally wouldn't have a problem with the boys going. The only thing I would be concerned about is: it sounds like fun and I'd miss out not going. :)

Stosh

The only reservation I would have would be: If you were dead sure, why would you be asking the forum for advice? If our comments don't hold any water, and you are sure these boys are up to it, then I'd say go for it. If you have reservations and are looking for support, that's a different story. From what you have laid out. I personally wouldn't have a problem with the boys going. The only thing I would be concerned about is: it sounds like fun and I'd miss out not going. :)

Stosh

Hey, jblake, I was all for letting the patrol hike out and do the project themselves. However, there were other adults in camp who insisted that these Scouts needed supervision.

Bill Hillcourt said to train the Scouts, trust them and let them lead. I'll be having a discussion with the committee this month. My question was about the G2SS and if I misunderstood the necessary BSA safety guidelines.

Stosh

Whoa! I'm on your side!!! :)

You are definitely on the right course. I assumed you may have been getting flack from others on this issue. 50% of the SM's work is keeping the adults at bay and letting the boys grow as the program allows.

Last resort, get parental permission slips from each of the boy's parents saying they can go without adults. I am unsure how that would work with the one 16 yo who is a guest of the activity.

I get a bit nervous with boys driving themselves to activities and even a bit more nervous with boys driving other boys, too, but that's my hangup.

Check with the council concerning insurance issues and if there are none, then let them have it.

The last resort "compromise" would be, have the parents that are worried, drive the boys to the trail head, you meet them there and then stay in the parking lot, start a little campfire and sit and chat with the parents about boy-led leadership and the opportunities it opens for their boys. Maybe a bit of a snack and refreshments to share and if the boys have any trouble, you're only a mile away. EMS is probably a lot further away than that. Remind them that with cell phones, they are just as connected as if they were at any other school/church activity they might have been on. After they realize they had either a good time chatting with the SM and the goals of Scouting, or they wasted their afternoon for nothing.

Seriously, if something did happen, what would the adults' presence make anyway? A well trained scout should be able to handle the situation just as well if not better than a non-trained parent.

Stosh

Stosh

Thanks, Stosh. We are on the same page here.
Sometime in the next year one of those Scouts is going to be the "adult."
Yes, but, there's a miraculous transformation of kids that happens on their 18th birthday!

Of course, the ones that learned the skills of adulthood prior to that don't count. Neither do the kids of helicopter parents that spend 18 years more trying to get them out of their basement.

Stosh