Just want to take a minute to say thanks to all you guys who are doing SFF this month. We have bag drop off Saturday and pick up next weekend.

I also have a Junior Girl Scout Troop helping the Boy Scouts, not to mention my Brownie daughter, and Daisy soon to be step-daughter in the mix also :)

I know of quite a few food pantries that depend on the SFF drive in this area for the holiday season......

Again thanks

Cary P

Scouting for Food Coordinator for Scott AFB.

How's the weather in St. Louis (hey, close enough huh?).

We just got done with SFF last Saturday. Our troop manned one of the drop off trailers. We collected about 10% more than last year. I've noticed that in times of crisis we tend to collect more. Right after 9/11/01, we collected more food (and sold more popcorn) that we ever had. With the ongoing conflict in Iraq and Afganistan, I believe people feel patriotic by donating food and buying popcorn to support Scouting. The economic situation (i.e. job market) tended to temper that somewhat, especially here in Michigan that has a higher (and steady) unemployment number than most.(This message has been edited by acco40)

The weather is weird down here in St Louis area. It was about 60 degrees outside at 3, now its about 50:( and windy.

We have drop off this week and pick up the next week. Our area has Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, Cub Scouts, Venture Crew, SHOW(school group), and maybe some others.

Here in our council in NY, we do SFF in the spring time, right before easter. We discovered that so many groups are doing food drive right before christmas people sometimes get overwelmed. The GS do them, The mail carriers do one, the churches and so on.

Since we started in the spring our Donations have increased because no one does one in Mar-apr time frame and the food banks like the influx of food just before easter.

P

We just finished up our food drive... 20 scouts put our a total of 2000 bags. The food bank estimates the take was $7,200 in food and $5 in cash.

We also support the mailmen when they do their food drive. We set up outside the food bank with a grill and serve lunch to the mail men (and ladies). The scouts unload the trucks and sort the food while the mail folks are chowing down on tube steaks.

When the food bank has their zitti dinner the scouts do setup and clean up.

Service hours are never a problem in our unit. Best of all, the Scouts love it!

You know, Wingnut -

After listening to ZZTops' "Tube Steak Boogie", I don't know if I'll ever be able to refer to hot dogs as tube steaks again! Ha. (if that's what you meant)

Back to the string...

Where we used to live, we did SFF in the spring and found it to work well, also.

I don't think it has been done in the area I live in now in a looooooooong time, if ever. But, the troop of which I am a part, has decided to do it in the spring and I think it will be great for the community to see young people doing something for someone other that themselves. Good luck to all!

YCVT

bd

I always get a kick out of what is "donated." This year we received a bottle of wine, a twelve pack of beer (Sharp's NA Beer), a can of pineapple that looked like it was ready to explode (expiration date of June 1990), etc. The SFF sponsors don't accept glass containers so I took home about ten boxes of foodstuffs in glass jars. My wife went through them all and we threw out about thirty jars of stuff whose expiration date was all pre-2000. (The rest we took to a local food shelter, except I kept the wine! At least I'm honest.)

Got to admit, FOG got that one right.

I got a girl she lives cross town,

She's the one that really gets down.

When she boogie,

She do the tube snake boogie.

Well now boogie little baby,

Boogie woogie all night long.

I got a girl she lives on the block,

She kinda funky with her pink and black socks.

She likes to boogie,

Well now boogie woogie baby,

I got a girl, she lives on the hill.

She won't do it but her sister will,

When she boogie,

Well now boogie little baby,

Blow your top blow your top blow your top.