Life requirement 6 as a Venturer

We spend a lot of time in these forums talking about doing the requirements as written and how all these "high speed, low drag" approaches are killing the sanctity of advancement.

So then, the requirement says: teach a younger Scout the skills from ONE of the following six choices, so that he is prepared to pass those requirements to his unit leader’s satisfaction.

​Since a Venturing scout cannot pass second or first class requirements, clearly this requirement involves working with a Boy Scout. So, go out and find a troop and offer to teach those requirements.

A crew member is a boy scout
We spend a lot of time in these forums talking about doing the requirements as written and how all these "high speed, low drag" approaches are killing the sanctity of advancement.

So then, the requirement says: teach a younger Scout the skills from ONE of the following six choices, so that he is prepared to pass those requirements to his unit leader’s satisfaction.

​Since a Venturing scout cannot pass second or first class requirements, clearly this requirement involves working with a Boy Scout. So, go out and find a troop and offer to teach those requirements.

But can that crew member be "prepared to pass those requirements" ? Only if it a boy and in a troop.

I forget you guys run your troops, Crews and Packs like kingdoms with no interaction with other units on any level of scouting,.

If I needed a boy scout, cub scout or crew member for a requirement like this, It is as simple as walking to the next room in the CO and ask for a volunteer. Not a problem

...he is "prepared to pass" those requirements to his unit leader’s satisfaction, not "passes".

It doesn't say he has to pass, only that he is prepared to pass to his unit leader's satisfaction. Why can't a venture be "prepared to pass to his unit leader's satisfaction?

If a Crew Advisor, Coach or Skipper thinks the Scout is prepared to pass, then it's complete isn't it.

Per the 2013 requirements, younger is only preferred, so there ya go.

This discussion had me fuming on so many levels, I needed a two nights in the woods on a long weekend to simmer down. I brought it up at last night's campfire,and one of our scouts had an insightful point: "If you're not teaching everybody first class skills, then what's the point of calling yourself a life scout?" In other words, from his perspective, the requirement - in total - should not to teach "one younger scout in your troop" a first class skill, but every youth you encounter those scouting skills. It boils down to this:

• Those of you who think 1st Class as only a rank, a stepping stone to Eagle, will think that the purpose of Life, the rank, is to produce more patches on uniforms. Thus the boy doing this only once in a very controlled context, is precisely what is needed for you to approve that box. Please consider that you are building a house of cards.
  • If, on the other hand, you think 1st Class Scout is a character trait, something that should manifest itself in every teen age member of the BSA, then you would see Life Scout, the trait, as something that drives a person to make it their life's work to instill scout spirit and skills in others. That is a house that you can build a movement on.

Now I think a lot of what venturing does (intended or not) is to challenge scouters to think, really think, about what kind of house they are building. The program doesn't leave me much room for the former - venturers don't need (and few want) awards, but the needs of my crew force me think in terms of the latter ... venturers in a general interest crew -- if not first class scouts (patch notwithstanding) already -- need to quickly come to bear all of the traits of first class scouts.