I know it is California, but is this overreach?

Just curious if many think this type of thing is really something any state legislative body should be doing, especially with the myriad other concerns for which they seldom find time? I do not disagree we need to be aware of this, but do we really need it in a resolution? Seems to me simply another example of politicizing an issue rather than actually dealing with it.:rolleyes:

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=201320140HR23

California HR #23 looks like a meaningless feel-good-ism that does nothing. It's hype without substance.

I have a friend from Mexico who's school was open. No one forced you to attend class. But if you failed a class, you were out. I'd almost rather see something like that within reason. Essentially you want to learn, we'll teach you. Not wanting to learn, go away. Come back when you want to learn. Might be a GED program. Might be other. But if you don't want to be there, then you don't have to be. Then put it on the families to install in their kids that school is important. Education is important. Employ-ability is important. It might take a village to raise a kid, but it takes the family to really screw him up.

Almost every one of the 'Whereas' clauses were mostly false pablum. But I got hopeful when I read:

"to increase the numbers of young men of color who are prepared for jobs and professional careers "

Good, good - I can support that. But then I finished the sentence:

"in the health, education, and green infrastructure sectors."

What about all the other sectors with real work to do? (Apologies to Health.)

California HR #23 looks like a meaningless feel-good-ism that does nothing. It's hype without substance.

I have a friend from Mexico who's school was open. No one forced you to attend class. But if you failed a class, you were out. I'd almost rather see something like that within reason. Essentially you want to learn, we'll teach you. Not wanting to learn, go away. Come back when you want to learn. Might be a GED program. Might be other. But if you don't want to be there, then you don't have to be. Then put it on the families to install in their kids that school is important. Education is important. Employ-ability is important. It might take a village to raise a kid, but it takes the family to really screw him up.

This is where the BSA scout exec earns his keep. "Mr. Speaker, regarding HR #23, we're here for you!"

I'd be embarrassed by this if I was of African American, Latino, and Asian or Pacific Islander descent. I need a California house bill/resolution to state that I'm valuable and not disposable? The reaction to these types of resolutions can be bad - i.e. non-African American, Latino, Asian or Pacific Islander folks assuming that this resolution implies that they are not valuable and are disposable?

If one feels strongly that an injustice has been done - address that injustice. Don't make platitudes or paint with a broad brush.