Camp Richard (Nantucket Island, Mass) being sold to developers

Many New England scout troops schedule a Nantucket bike trip, for some it is an annual trip. Take the ferry, rent or take bikes, bike around island, go to the beach, and thriftily tent at Camp Richard, a 100 acre scout camp gifted to the island Boy Scouts in the early 1970s by the Nantucket Civic League

"Cape Cod & Islands Council received a $3.5 million offer from Atlantic Development to purchase 30 acres within Camp Richard, according to Bob Graves, the president of the Nantucket District Committee of the Boy Scouts of America." Local scout leaders (Nantucket District Committee) are attempting to block to sale by transferring deed ownership to Camp Richard Campers Association

Barnstable Superior Court judge Gary Nickerson is hearing the lawsuit filed by Council against scout leaders trying to block the sale of part of Camp Richards. In Mass, deed restrictions expire in 30 years unless reinstated. "The deed transfer from the Nantucket District Committee to the Camp Richard Campers Association sought to reinstate the restriction."

http://www.ack.net/JudgedeniesLandCo...ment081313.htm

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Update: Dec 29, 2017: Two years ago, a Superior Court judge effectively ended attempts by a Hingham developer to buy Camp Richard, the Nantucket property used by generations of Boy Scouts fo

Some thoughts, questions: - the interim agreement gives the impression that the disputing parties are equal owners. They are not. “It is a well established principle in Scouting that land belo

It is hardly an example of Scouting's values to sell this land, which was protected by a specific easement causing it to revert to its original owner if the land was ever not used for Scouting. Unfor

They revoked all the memberships of the adults involved......Wasn't that nice of them.

So I wonder if that 3.5 mill is going to upgrade the SE's office and secretary....The real hot ones are more expensive.

$3.5 mill sounds pretty cheap....I have no idea what the property on Nantucket Island goes for but in a resort type area.......

Just like they sold my boyhood council camp to the brother of one of they guys on the board.

In the end nobody really cares about the boys..... I sit back and watch the district and council fleece local businesses in the name of the boys, we go to the same old run down camp, with the same beat up facilities, They brag about the amount of money they raise year after year, I wonder where it all goes, well not really......

Someone seriously needs to look at the BSA's council business model and fix it.

Not exactly sure where it is exactly on fairground rd on the island.....But looking at the google earth.....it is in the middle of some really big homes and right on the edge of town.
http://www.camprichard.org/map.html

Yes, there are houses around it, but close to southern beach (Atlantic Ocean) and Nantucket Airport (east)

Difference of opinion?

Council website: http://www.scoutscapecod.org/camp/camp-richard.html

Camp Richard is a year round camping facility for the use of all Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts and Venturers. It is owned and operated by Cape Cod and Islands Council #224. While there is no program offered, Camp Richard provides all the necessary facilities to camp and enjoy historic Nantucket.

District website: http://www.camprichard.org/

Camp Richard is owned and operated by the Nantucket District BSA. We provide a year round camping facility for the use of all Boy Scouts and Cub Scouts. We do not offer any program; however, we do provide all the necessary facilities to camp and enjoy historic Nantucket.

They revoked all the memberships of the adults involved......Wasn't that nice of them.

So I wonder if that 3.5 mill is going to upgrade the SE's office and secretary....The real hot ones are more expensive.

$3.5 mill sounds pretty cheap....I have no idea what the property on Nantucket Island goes for but in a resort type area.......

Just like they sold my boyhood council camp to the brother of one of they guys on the board.

In the end nobody really cares about the boys..... I sit back and watch the district and council fleece local businesses in the name of the boys, we go to the same old run down camp, with the same beat up facilities, They brag about the amount of money they raise year after year, I wonder where it all goes, well not really......

$3.5 million for 30 island acres does sound on the cheap, but I have not found a map detailing the portion to be sold.

This October, the Cape Cod & Islands Council is hosting MassJam http://www.scoutscapecod.org/calendar/211/2033-MassJam.html. Our attendance is becoming more doubtful.

Let's see...

There once was a camp on Nantucket,

....probably should stop there, I guess.

I agree. 3.5 M sounds like someone is getting a sweet deal. Wonder what the connections are?

Here's the location on GE: 41°15'24.01" N 70°05'00.14" W

"The Cape Cod & Islands Council responded last week with a lawsuit against 10 of Nantucket’s Boy Scouts leaders alleging fraud, conspiracy, unjust enrichment, and stated that the deed transfer was illegal, invalid, and “essentially amounts to stealing the land.†-

I await the day these scout leaders countersue the council for these identical charges, it would seem the only ones who will monetarily benefit from this sale at all are the pro scouters. Thats just the way it always seems to happen just like it happened in my own council with multiple sales of scout property over the years.

bottom line is the the BSA is a business pretending to be a youth organization...

Not much different than those mega churches where the preachers drive bentleys and live in 5 million dollar houses.

Recently, the Wall Street Journal stated the BSA earned a "Profit Merit Badge" in selling a camp outside of Houston. I would add the BSA is a business pretending to be a conservationist.

This is VERY fishy. Land across the street sold two weeks ago for $30 million, for 70 acres. And someone is trying to steal this land from our boys for $3.5 million for 30 acres. There hasn't been an acre to sell for that price on the island in 20 yrs!

The whole thing stinks. This land was donated by the Nantucket Civic League, to the Nantucket troop, 40 yrs ago.l It was given with a deed restriction that said that if it were to ever be used for something other than scouting, ownership reverted by to the Civic League. Well, no one paid attention that such a restriction automatically expires after 30 years.

Since the Nantucket group is a troop, and not a council, at some point we joined the Cape Council. All tax and deed records show "Nantucket District, Boy Scouts of America" as the owner, but the Cape Council is assuming that means them. All improvements on the land have been paid for in donations and sweat equity by island volunteers. The troop is run solely by volunteers. But the Cape Council has decided to sell 30 of the acres to a developer. This land is pristine. Dark. No noise. No light. A wonderful place. Putting a development on even a part of the property will be disastrous!

Knowing this, our volunteer leaders decided to transfer the deed from "Nantucket District" to a non-profit "Camp Richards Foundation" to block the sale. And, in response, the lawyer-treasurer-board member and the $100,000+/yr salaried executive scout of the council is suing each of the volunteers personally, are seeking to have them removed from the scouts, and have changed the locks on the camp! Reportedly the money is needed to rebuild the endowment that pays the executive scout's salary!

We go back to court on Friday for the court to decide who should run the place until a trial can be set.

This is not good. We have a petition going and are trying to sway public opinion. You can help us here: http://tinyurl.com/kidsnotgreed as well as share this with as many camp loving scouts as you know!

Thanks!