Military and Scouting

I remember watching one parade in a AnySmallTown USA' date=' my host told me to make sure my son knew to take of his hat as the vets came down leading the parade with the flag; otherwise, a member who walks down the sidewalk beside the color-guard will chastise him for being disrespectful.[/quote']

Really? They would do that? What a jerk. That would make me want too put my hat back on if I saw that.

I never understand the self righteous attitude that says: I see something as disrespectful, so my response is to be disrespectful back. How about assuming that no disrespect is intended? Maybe they have a good reason for not taking their hat off (or whatever it is they are doing)?

And for the observant Jew or the old order Amish or Mennonite or Quaker or SIkh or Muslim who remain covered as an indication of their faith? How would the Vet deal with that? If the vet would approach me that way, I know I would respond "thank you for your service friend, but no" and then perhaps we would have a discussion about who (or what) we owe first alligiance to.

Google

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember watching one parade in a AnySmallTown USA' date=' my host told me to make sure my son knew to take of his hat as the vets came down leading the parade with the flag; otherwise, a member who walks down the sidewalk beside the color-guard will chastise him for being disrespectful.[/quote']

Really? They would do that? What a jerk. That would make me want too put my hat back on if I saw that.

I never understand the self righteous attitude that says: I see something as disrespectful, so my response is to be disrespectful back. How about assuming that no disrespect is intended? Maybe they have a good reason for not taking their hat off (or whatever it is they are doing)?

Personally, if I'm in a situation like that, I use the double covering used on the Sabbath and holidays (European Jewish tradition is that one wears a hat on those days, but in Synagogue, only unmarried men wear a hat. So I have a Kippa on over my hat). If I'm not in a uniform hat that stays on (like a Scout Hat), I'll have a Kippa (skullcap) on, so I can take my hat off without problem.

But yes, Christian tradition was to remove the hat out of respect. Jewish tradition is to wear the hat out of respect. America is a Christian country, and I see no problem showing respect for the flag AND my faith.

Not justifying self righteousness, but one can show respect for both. One can also raise one's hat out of respect without uncovering their head.

Or one could just put their hand over their heart and let it go at that. There is no enforcement of the Flag Code, it is there to assist citizens in how to show respect for the flag. If standing and putting one's hand over their heart regardless of one's hat isn't enough, then I don't know what is. It sure beats sitting in the lawn chair digging through the cooler looking for their next beer and ignoring the flag altogether. Whether it be right or wrong, the flag going down the street is able to allow that person the freedom to do so.

I do notice the improper display of the Flag in many parades as inappropriate to the Code in the first place. If there are two flags, one the US Flag and maybe the state flag, the US Flag is on the right. Not a problem, but when someone adds a third flag, i.e. American Legion flag, the US Flag goes out front! On a vehicle it is the front center or right front corner that gets the flag.

Flags displayed on floats is inappropriate. They are meant to be carried and allowed to fly freely no matter how windy it might be.

And the big kicker for me is the horizontal display of the flag. Totally inappropriate. The flag is to fly high and free!

It's kinda hard to expect the public to show respect when many of the color guards have not done their homework.

Stosh

I am so totally with you on the horizontal display of the flag. Gak.

I also prefer the U.S. Flag out in front when marching with multiple flags but I think it's permissible to still have it march on the right. I'd have to dig out my docs ;).