Great MB and one that needs changes

My favorite Merit Badge is Rock Climbing badge. The book is very clear and the requirements well ordered. One of my least favorites is the Dis. Awareness.....it's seems to indicate that in order to earn the badge you must seek out the disabled to join and that makes it seem just a little shallow Req. 3b. I know there are other options.....I just don't like that one.

Your favorite and one that needs changes?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These are some of the mb's that I council, plus my comments on how to make them better.

Climbing - needs updating with the addition of self rescue techniques.

Cycling - to watered down and weaniefied, needs general requirments covering safety, repairs, and conditioning. Followed by a choice of 1 of 3 different options. Those options being Touring, Road Biking, and Mountain Biking.

American Heritage - needs a complete rewrite with more focus on living history.

Indian Lore - another badge that needs a complete rewrite. Tends to be a give away badge at summercamps for first year campers. I would favor requirements more for the older scouts..

Canoeing - would be great to see a requirement that requires at the very least a 5 mile trek on Class C waters (Class C is one grade lower than Class I...just enough current without the fear of getting a newbe in trouble)as a capstone in earning the badge.

Oreenteering - a ghastly merit bade that should be changed to Land Navigation offering a choice between two options, Oreenteering for the jocks, and Land Navigation for the wilderness travellar with a focus on GPS, and the UTM co ordinate system.

Whitewater - lacks self rescue techniques. Get rid of the gates, the best way to learn how to handle a boat in whitewater is in whitewater. Not on a pond doing figure 8's around poles...

I have qualms with the First Aid MB. I dont like the requirement where the scouts are supposed to explore CPR...I feel that they should either take offical training or it should not be a requirement. A little knowledge can do a lot of damage.

I also feel that the Pioneering MB needs a new cover photograph. There are a number of scouts on top of a tower that is lashed together. According to BSA National Standards for camp, scouts can not have their feet off the ground higher than six feet without being belayed. It is quite obvious that these scouts on the Pioneering MB are much higher than six feet and they are not belayed.

Yeah, I've been trying to get a crank starter for my truck, 'cuz that's what B-P had in his lorrie -- havng a devil of a time finding an aftermarket supplier, though. I may have to (gasp!) live with a modern, convenient, electric starter, much to my chagrin.

I'm a gadget guy -- if it's useful, I'll use it. I carry a GPS, but also have a compass and know how to use it. I carry a lighter...and matches. I like Polartec more than wool. I have FRS radios, and a whistle...

Many of the MBs need requirement updates to account for changes in technology, Hiking & Orienteering just two of them.

KS

Outdoor thinker,

I have a question, you said "According to BSA National Standards for camp, scouts can not have their feet off the ground higher than six feet without being belayed."

Can you tell me where you are getting this from? It is Not in the G2SS or any other standard that I have ever seen for Pioneering. Can you tell us a standard number?

She is getting it from the national camp standards for C.O.P.E courses. It's not in the G2SS because it normally doesn't come into play under unit auspices. That doesn't make it any less binding or true.

Alas, the days of the 30 foot tall signal tower are gone. They're gone at least, unless C.O.P.E. and climb on safely requirements are met. It makes me sad, but thats the way it is. Like the standards or not, you still have to meet them if you want the BSA to cover it.

You don't have to like the rule. It's the rule.

Higher than six feet of the ground from the Scout's feet and you have standards to meet. It's not impossible, but there are standards to meet.

I'm speaking both as a professional and a formerly C.O.P.E. certified director from 1992 - 1997.

DS

I like the photography badge - but it needs to be updated to include digital photography.

They made cooking WAY too complicated and long - when a badge ends up with 3-4 pages of requirements, it's time to cut it into two badges - say, home cooking and outdoor cooking?

"Yeah, I've been trying to get a crank starter for my truck, 'cuz that's what B-P had in his lorrie"

I drive cars with standard transmissions just in case the battery goes dead. Can't push start an automatic.

You zoomies are gadget freaks. The Navy still teaches things like semaphore and using a sextant because they know that high technology will fail, it is just a matter of when.

Navy ships still use sound powered telephones for communciations during GQ. Why? Because as long as the lines aren't cut, they are going to work. I believe that they are so primitive that EMP won't affect them.

"Alas, the days of the 30 foot tall signal tower are gone."

The safety freaks are going to take all of the fun out of the world. Soon, if you want to bike you'll have to wear not just a helmet but chest protector, shin guards, and knee and elbow pads. Canoes and canoeists will have to be to tethered to shore just in case they get into trouble. Campfires will be banned. Camping will only be allowed to take place in a fenced in enclosure of less than 1/2 acre to avoid trouble with bears.

Just curious, what is the penalty if my Scouts build a 30 foot tower?

"They made cooking WAY too complicated and long - when a badge ends up with 3-4 pages of requirements, it's time to cut it into two badges - say, home cooking and outdoor cooking? "

It doesn't look that complicated. It's only eight requirements. The big problem is that it can't be completed in a week or less.