Isn't it nice to know Enron isn't the only company with an accounting scandal?

Tuesday, June 22nd I attended a Council Executive Board meeting for the first time (as an observer only).

Let me just say I have come face to face with the dark side of Scouting now.

Keep your ears open for news on the Shawnee Trails Council. It sounds like we could be in for a rough ride.

Just as a hint of how bad things are, the Council President wants our council to become the first to file for bankruptcy protection. I certainly never thought I would witness a council president and a region director yelling at each other during a public meeting, but such is the state of things.

I really wish I had ready access to this site, there are some legal, financial, and technical issues I would like to get some feedback about, but I am currently on camp staff, so that just isn't possible very often.

Maybe something will turn for the better at the next meeting this Tuesday.

"Isn't it nice to know...."

No it isn't nice to know. Wouldn't it be better if the Council was spending time supporting the units not worrying about legal and finances?

Eamonn.

I am curious as to where the "accounting Scandal" comes into play. Many corportaions, for profit as well as non-profits go through finacial problems that have nothing to do with scandal.

If the money going out exceeds the money being raised then finamcial problems will occur. It does not all happen on the expenditure side. Units who do not sell popcorn, host an FOS presentation, attend district and council events, place a huge financial burden on the local scouting program.

Nothing posted so far has shown improper bookeeping or scnadal other than a very misleading thread title.

More facts=less fear.

This doesn't sound anything like the criminal deeds that happened at Enron. It doesn't sound like people cheating others for millions. It doesn't sound like a company where hundreds were involved in making as much money as fast as they could with no forethought or personal honor. It doesn't sound like people denying their guilt while smiling and saying that they had no idea what was happening.

This sounds more like people that have lost a great deal of money and they are trying to figure out what went wrong. Yelling at each is the first clue. Blaming is the next clue.

It won't even make the headlines. It will just make allot of people sad and then they will figure their options. By the way, Summer camp counselors are paid through the council, your wages, now that is a scandal.

All of this can be turned around.

FB

Unless there has been some wrong doing by the Council, comparing it to Enron is just plain wrong! Nothing posted so far suggests there is an accounting scandal!

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

• 3 weeks later...

Councils can be put on probation for a period of time or until they can correct what was wrong or reach certain goals.

While this doesn't happen everyday it is not unheard of.

I would warn you that posting here-say or rumors on the world wide web is not such a good idea.Especially looking at the last paragraph that you posted. What you are doing might be seen as un scout-like behavior and could be grounds for the Scout Exec. Or the Regional Staff to remove you from Scouting.

Eamonn.(This message has been edited by Eamonn)

This thread will be locked very shortly. Please give only the truth and not what could be believed to be wrong or a rumor.

Also, It is not a good idea to post information that could get somebody into trouble like that.

"If you dont want it showing up on CNN or Fox News, etc DONT post it here" (This message has been edited by a staff member.)