Since we are on the Gettysburg subject, I am looking for some advice.

Our group is heading there in two weeks. We will be driving there on a Thursday and Camping Th, Fri & Sat Nights at the McMillan woods Site. Any suggestions as to which order we should hike the trails and the historic walk? Should we go to the visitor center first / last or middle? What about the Cyclorama? I liked the suggestion about renting the pool at the Y, but that might be hard to get in mid July. Are there any other point of interest that we should try to catch?

CE

CaveEagle,

The schedule we did last year for a similar 4 day trip was:

Arrive Thursday Afternoon, Went to the visitor centor and electric map. This gave us all an overview of what we would see the next few days.

Did the Historic Town Walk Thursday Evening. (Note it's much more than a walk, we didn't finish until about 10:30pm)

Friday, we did the 10 mile trail and that evening the pool at the Y.

Saturday we did the Johnny Reb trail in the morning and the Cyclorama and Eisenhower Farm in the afternoon. (That night we were treated to a fireworks display over the Battlefield we didn't know was going to happen.) Some scouts & adults went into town to do one of the Haunted Gettysburg walks. (Chase ghosts at night, seems like every town has one of these now.)

Sunday, we relaxed. Some went back to the visitor's center in the morning. We had a short "generic" service reflecting on the events of history. (That debate goes on next door.) And went home.

It was hectic, but we were able to fit in all the elements required for the Heritage Trail Medal. It was tiring, and to do all the elements in three and half days was a challenge. All that went and earned the Heritage Trail medal wear it with pride though. I had one scout tell me it was the best outing he had been on in his 5 years with the troop.

Good Luck.

SA

Funny that Gettysburg should come up now as a topic--my husband was just saying that we should go this summer. I'd love to. The biggest problem is the little one. Since we still need to provide naptime and since those little legs walk a mile at a time and then need a break, how "stroller friendly" is Gettsyburg?

Today I took my kids, ages 2-12, to Valley Forge National Historic Park. We had a blast! We didn't do all that much walking today, at least not as much as I'd hoped, but the kids all earned the Junior Park Ranger certificate and badge. I highly recommend this to anyone going to VF, by the way, because the book guides you through the 10-mile car tour. We bought the CD, popped it in during the drive, and had a "guide". We're hoping to go back, just me and the older 2, to try out the 9-mile orienteering hike. In doing this, we can earn the VF Historic Trails Award. What I like about the car tour is that we can add as much hiking/walking as we like, but with a little one to consider, it's nice to know that the walking can be limited or a stroller used. Our oldest son transferred troops, and he's pretty bummed because this troop isn't going on the Pilgrimage either. So guess who he asked to take him? I'm game :)

Our Cub son went to Daniel Boone Homestead for the Encampment last month with my husband and several other Cub families. They liked it, but our son said he'd enjoy just going camping again, that he didn't need all the activities. Sleeping in a tent, cooking outdoors, hiking--that's enough for him. My husband said he thought I'd love it there though because of all the things to see: a working saw mill was his favorite. I'd like to go, but just to the Homestead for a day. Anyone been there?

Fun thread!

March 30-April 3

Eamonn and OJ

TP and Ship

OGE and Crew

April 2, Big Campfire

YMCA Pool

Hot Tub post hike

Cyclorama

Visitor Center and electric map

Historic Town Walk

Johnny Reb trail