I agree with you to an extent on this issue. I think that the problem we have is that some equate pure numbers with being correct. Therefore, many try to show their affiliations, beliefs, etc. for all to see. Plus, some organizations are well organized and actively promote the public display of their agenda for monetary, political and other reasons.

I didn't know fish could be considered as Christians (said in jest). But your dislike of the "Darwin fish" proves my point. I found it very humorous the first time I saw it, but yes, for some, these symbols are just inflammatory statements that provoke, regardless of the owners intent. The same can be said for those that sport the "Christian" fish.

Both of my sons proudly wear their "purple knots" but I would be very upset if they approached another Scout and asked why he didn't earn his. From my perspective, the benefit of them earning their religious awards was to increase their knowledge of what their church (or Church as it would prefer me to write) doctrine states in a context that is age appropriate. Those who hold the same belief system at age 12, 23, 33, 43, etc. are rare indeed.

Now the insignia guide has guidelines about wearing something such as the "rainbow" knot. For me, it would be like me wearing a Pistons baskeball patch on my uniform. It has no place on a proper uniformed Scout. Exactly what does the knot symbolize? Disagreement with the BSA "rule?" Belief that homosexuality in and of itself is not sinful? A desire to wear a colorful patch? I would have thougt the wearer was a Hawaii alum.

(Note: All members of the athletic teams from the University of Hawaii are "Rainbow" except for the football team which because of political pressure changed their nickname to Warriors. How insecure can they be?)

For a more informative article check out:

http://www.berkeleydailyplanet.com/index.cfm?archiveDate=11-11-03

(from Berkeley, where else!)(This message has been edited by acco40)

[big_Dog]

I believe if a scouter earned the religious emblem as a scout, there is a knot he can wear as an adult. So, in that line of thought, I guess you could call it a "God knot". Don't want to get too much on the "God knot" issue or we'll draw Merlyn in here. I just believe that wearing a knot to let a scout know that you are "gay-friendly" (from the original article) is just trying an end-run around the stance BSA has taken.

[/big_Dog]

Not to mention the gay-knot is unofficial and is not authorized for wear on a Scouter's uniform. Regardless of the politics behind it, such unofficial knots have no place on the uniform.

Fred Goodwin

Alamo Area Council

As I understand the knot in question, it simply means a scout could approach a scouter to discuss issues of his sexuality without fear of being "ratted out" and removed from scouting.

It would not be unusual for a young person to approach a trusted adult, i.e. a scoutmaster, with respect to a topic they might find uncomfortable discussing with their parents, regardless of what permissions have or have not been granted.

Has anyone had this experience?

I personally would be uncomfortable discussing the issue with a scout and would try and refer him to a pastor or guidance counselor or someone who had training to deal with such a question. I'd rather have him ask me how to tie a Clove Hitch or what would be a good meal to cook in a Dutch Oven.

SA