What should I expect from a district executive?

The DE position is mainly a Marketing/PR position. They raise money, and members/units, for the council.

They do not PROVIDE/RUN district program or activities. They help FACILITATE them.

VOLUNTEERS do most of the actual hands on work, and that is how it SHOULD be.

There is no need for a DE to attend unit meetings. In the 20 or so years I was with our Pack I think our DE attended only 1 unit meeting, and he was invited to that one.

If your unit needs help, you go to your Unit Commissioner (volunteer). If your UC needs further help for your unit he goes to the District Commissioner (or an Asst Dist Commis) (both volunteers). If the DC needs council's help for your UC to help your unit, he goes to the DE (paid council person).

1) Training - DE's are not trainers. Volunteers train the volunteers. A DE can use his community contacts to help get meeting facilities, and equipment.

2) Roundtable - Again DE's are not trainers. Roundtables are run by the Commissioner staff - all VOLUNTEERS. The DE will be at the Roundtable to talk about district/council stuff. The DE helps the Roundtable staff with any resources they might find they need, including finding meeting space.

3) District wide events - All run by VOLUNTEERS, with the DE providing council help with activity space and resources.

The MAIN job of the DE is that of marketing/fundraising/PR. They raise money, and members, for the council. They FACILITATE activities that are VOLUNTEER run. They are the volunteer's council contact point person.

Yes, most of us volunteers are spread thin. However, many of us realize that if we want that extra BALOO training, or that district PWD, or that Cub Fun day, that we can not just sit around and expect the Scouting Fairy to magically provide them for us. We have to do it ourselves. So we go to Roundtables, talk to other volunteers, talk to DE's, and volunteer more of our time to help get it done. The DE can help, but it is the VOLUNTEER that does the work.

The DE is, after all, only 1 person. That one person is often spread quite thin themselves.

If you want district/council level activities than you find a way to volunteer your time at BOTH the unit, and district/council level.

If councils had to pay salaries, and benefits, for people to do all of the things that volunteers do now at a district/council level, councils would either go broke, or start charging outrageous amounts for the smallest things. Those DEs would have to work even longer hours than they already do because the fundraising amounts they would be required to meet would be tripled!

Yes, longtime Scouters with grown kids, and those who are retired, do volunteer (for BOTH their council, and their unit). However, there are many folks out there in your district/council who are married, work full time, have multiple kids (all in Scouting), volunteer their time in multiple organizations, and STILL manage to find the time to volunteer for district/council level stuff.

The DE position is mainly a Marketing/PR position. They raise money, and members/units, for the council.

They do not PROVIDE/RUN district program or activities. They help FACILITATE them.

There is no need for a DE to attend unit meetings. In the 20 or so years I was with our Pack I think our DE attended only 1 unit meeting, and he was invited to that one.

If your unit needs help, you go to your Unit Commissioner (volunteer). If your UC needs further help for your unit he goes to the District Commissioner (or an Asst Dist Commis) (both volunteers). If the DC needs council's help for your UC to help your unit, he goes to the DE (paid council person).

1) Training - DE's are not trainers. Volunteers train the volunteers. A DE can use his community contacts to help get meeting facilities, and equipment.

2) Roundtable - Again DE's are not trainers. Roundtables are run by the Commissioner staff - all VOLUNTEERS. The DE will be at the Roundtable to talk about district/council stuff. The DE helps the Roundtable staff with any resources they might find they need, including finding meeting space.

3) District wide events - All run by VOLUNTEERS, with the DE providing council help with activity space and resources.

The MAIN job of the DE is that of marketing/fundraising/PR. They raise money, and members, for the council. They FACILITATE activities that are VOLUNTEER run. They are the volunteer's council contact point person.

Yes, most of us volunteers are spread thin. However, many of us realize that if we want that extra BALOO training, or that district PWD, or that Cub Fun day, that we can not just sit around and expect the Scouting Fairy to magically provide them for us. We have to do it ourselves. So we go to Roundtables, talk to other volunteers, talk to DE's, and volunteer more of our time to help get it done. The DE can help, but it is the VOLUNTEER that does the work.

The DE is, after all, only 1 person. That one person is often spread quite thin themselves.

If you want district/council level activities than you find a way to volunteer your time at BOTH the unit, and district/council level.

And my hat is off to all those that volunteer..... especially those that go beyond their unit level and try to make the greater program work.

But you are missing my point I think..... I'm NOT saying that everything currently done by volunteers should be done by proffesionals. I am also NOT saying that they need to hire more people.

What I am saying.... and this is from my perspective only.... is that a big chunck of the current DE's job can go away. We don't need someone asking Scouters and the parents for money. What we do need is help to put on the program. This would free up time for the DE to do necessary things, that at least in my district, are absolutely NOT getting done..... and other things that are not getting done well.

There would be a direct side benifit too, of a better and more consistant program that would ultimately increase membership and therefore revenue.... things that they are currently tasked with ......

Boiling it down..... We don't need him or her coming to our B&G to give a sales pitch about donating money to scouting. NOBODY wants to sit through that! What we do need is training for our leaders and facilitation for a more exciting program that will attract boys!

What parts of the DE's job would you like to eliminate?

Fundraising?

Are you willing to pay annual dues to not only BSA National, but to your council as well? Are you willing to pay out of your own pocket when your council camps need a new well system? Are you willing to pay the electric bill at your council offices for one month? How about the mortgage/rent/taxes on the council's properties? Yes, BSA, and its councils are non-profit, but that does not mean that they do not need money to run.

As for FOS, in our council, the DEs rarely go to B&G's to do a FOS pitch. That particular "fun" job is left to the FOS chair of the District Finance Committee (a volunteer), or to someone in the unit itself. Nasty, but necessary. With out FOS donations there might not be any council summer camp for your son to attend. At least not in your council.

How about membership? Would you like your DE to stop helping new units get started? Of course, if the DE is not marketing the BSA, and its program, to area organizations, and businesses, there probably would not be a need for new units.

Training in our council is also done by volunteers. Our DE helps the District Training Chair (a volunteer) to coordinate dates with other districts, and get any resources needed from both council, and the community.

Program is up to the individual units, NOT your district. It is up to your unit to figure out how to offer it's Scouts a "better and more consistent", "more exciting program", NOT your DE. If you need help contact the appropriate volunteer group in your District - the Commissioner Service.

So a list of what EXACTLY you think a DE should NOT do - and a list of EXACTLY what you think a DE SHOULD do might help to clarify your thinking for me.

Scoutnut, I'm sorry if I pushed a button. Didn't mean to.

Thing is, I see a lot of needs from my perspective. Huge room for improvement on the unit level, district level, and council level.

I'm also rather new as a Scouter. I don't know the full extent of the DE's job description. Don't know the other proffesional paid positions at the council level either.

Maybe your district and perspective is just different.

You say things like "DE's are not trainers". That may be so, but what I am saying is maybe they should be.

(Actually to be acurate, i am not saying that they should actually "Teach" every class. Maybe teach some, but more importantly facilitate. And what I mean by that is, plan, organize, email, pull materials together, reserve the facility, etc...)

All I am trying to suggest is that we back away from the current model and way of thinking and look beyond!

I just know that I see people with the full time job of scouting and getting paid to do it, that seem to be going around doing nothing but asking for money.....

while I see volunteers working hard trying, but just not having sufficient time and resources to really do a good job.

Now I fully concede that there are likely things that these proffesionals are doing that is necessary and that are productive, I'm just not seeing a lot of it.

What EXACTLY do I see as a need? I'll list some.....

Training - The online training is good enough, but i could sure benefit from a presented class with group discussion. Other things such as BALOO are needed. I scoured the calendars of my district and neighboring districts for classes beginning last winter/spring and through the summer and into the start of the current school year. Some things weren't offered at all, and others very sledom and at times I couldn't make. None in my district by the way..... I gave up and stopped looking when our pack's program year geared up with school.

Proram consistancy - Given the fact that training is infrequent or non-existant, I'll bet.... now I don't know this to be true.... but I'll bet that the experience a boy sees in my pack is different from the pack down the road. That one is likely different from the one up the road.....

Quality - District run programs, such as our Cub O Ree, while good, could also greatly benefit form someone that could head them up as a job, rather than as something they are trying to do after dinner.

Facilities - you mentioned a new well. How about a few bows for the archery belt loop! Everytime I've been to our scout camp for cub o ree and the like, the highlight is the BB and Archery Ranges. They have always been just a big mess. Again, getting soe folks together to plan and schedule that are not trying to dio it after dinner could go a long way in cleaning it up and making a better program.

My thought in all of this is a happier boy that will go talk to his friends about this great thing that he's doing.

Imagine the boy that is left handed. Goes to scout camp and gets to shoot a right handed bow at the archery range for exactly 4 minutes after having stood in line for an hour and sat through 15 minutes of safety briefing. What is taht kid going to tell his friends about the archery experience? Fix those problems. Now what is he going to tell his non-scout friends? What are they going to tell their parents?

Recruitment goes up, revenues therefore increase.

And yes, I would be willing to pay a few more dollars per year in registration.... but honestly, with all of the money that we have sent council through popcorn sales, I hardly see the need.

Perhaps your council is simply different from mine.

Our DEs do facilitate community, and council resources for their volunteers. Of course some DEs are better at it than others.

Training - One of the reasons that BSA instituted the online training was because in-person training was often not attended well due to the large variety of people's schedules. Folks who could not get to in-person, were able to do it, at their own convenience, online. That said, councils still offer in-person training. Perhaps not as often as before, but it is still available. For training like BALOO, often there has to be a minimum number of folks registered to take it in order for it to be financially viable to put on. I have seen training cancelled because only 1 or 2 folks signed up.

Keep in mind that you do not have to ONLY attend training in your own district, or council. If a neighboring district, or council, has the training you want, at a time/location that works for you, you can take it there. Make sure to get a completion card from the Course Director. Give a copy to the Secretary at your Council offices and ask that your training records be updated.

If you need a training, like BALOO, and can not find it offered ANYWHERE, you should contact your District Training Chair (call your council, or check your district web page for contact info) for help.

Program consistency - Training is NOT nonexistent. It is ALWAYS available online. The BSA program itself IS consistent. Everyone is supposed to be following the published BSA program. However, people are not all the same. Some folks just would rather run the John Doe program version. They think their way is easier, better, what has always been done, etc. Also, Charter Organizations are able to make modifications to customize the program for their members. Bottom line - even with 24/7 training there will still be inconsistencies between your Pack, and the Pack down the road. Keep in mind that this is NOT always a bad thing.

District run programs - Adding one, or more, paid persons to just handle district programs is an expense that most councils could not justify. If council had to add paid full time staff, the number of events that they could afford to run would be drastically reduced.

I suggest that you might find it interesting to attend one of your District's Roundtables, and talk to your DE, and some of the other key District volunteers, there. They might be able to answer your concerns better than I have as they have knowledge specific to your District/Council.

Happy Scouting!

Thanks Scoutnut. Good advice. Unfortunately I have already pursued most of it.

Our district has been without a training chair. Only recently at a round table I learned that we have a person that has stepped up. In the interim, I had been in contact with my DE and even others at council re. training....

I have attended roundtables, though not as many as I'd like due to wife's work schedule.

As i mentioned, back when I was actively searching for training I did scour all neighboring districts calendars too.

I did run into the issue you mentioned of poor registration for courses leading to cancelations. I chalked it up to a few points.... at the time, the trining chair was a person volunteering as a stand in, not full time effort in the position, so there was a lack of advertising about the classes. Also, there wasn't classes offered at convenient times, but I was bent on going if I could swing it...... again I chalked it up to volunteer limitations.....

Oh well, hopefully things will improve for us novice Scouters grasping for strong mentors......

Looking for a mentor, visit other troop or packs programs.....Find one you like and partner or buddy up with the CM or SM...... I have done that and it does help.
  • 3 weeks later...

My new one does a lot! We get weekly emails of the stuff going on in council, district and etc. with the attached flyers. He is making the rounds to each unit this year to personally get to know them. I think he finds Scouting exciting as he is on many events and boards... *laughing

I truly LOVE the weekly emails that topics oriented.

• 3 weeks later...

What can be expected?

From a dumb/ambitious DE: He'll come out and do it.

From a dumb/lazy DE: He'll tell you he's busy.

From a good DE: He'll ask who your Membership Chair is in the Pack so he can work with them on how to build a team in your Pack to focus on recruiting.

The rule being that it's better to teach a man to fish than to give him a fish.

• 2 weeks later...