Hello

What's the usual profile of a SL at your group ?

Here there are two usual profiles, in the first most of the leaders are between 18-25 ( I belong to that group) , are usually studing and "retire" scouting before finishing their studies, almost all of us are volunteers (i.e. recive no money whatsoever, except in some cases were bus fare is paid ) and anoter group where the leaders tend to be older, sometimes parents of the scouts but most of the times members of comunity organizatuions like churches or schools, I think that still most of them are voluntary but less than in the first group, my knowledge of this second type of SL is very limited because I don't personally know many of them.

Salu2

Nivipi

While I feel sure that someone or some organization has come up with "The Profile."

I think that they will not get it right.

Scout Leaders are like Dog Owners.

One of the things that makes this organization great is how diverse it is.

Yes there may be some truth in the idea that a good many of the Scout Leaders tend to be white and middle class. However as America changes so will Scouting.

I have to admit to being sick to death of all the stuff that is going on about the gays and funds being cut.

Still at the end of the day I like to think that no matter how politically correct it might be at this time to "Bash Scouting." Scouting has the backing of the majority of the everyday people.

Why do I think this?

While Scout Leaders come in all sizes (Some can't even find pants that fit. -Joke.) We come from every race and creed and all that other good stuff. The thing that unites us is our values.

The groups that are "Scout Bashing" are having a hard time with this.

When the man in the street sees and hears that these groups are trying to do harm to something that is seen to do so much good. He/She is not happy. While many of these people may not know a lot about Scouting, they do know that Scouting has done and is still doing a great job for the youth of America.

When you try to profile Scout Leaders, you need to look at he why not the who.

Eamonn

Dear Nivipi,

I see from your other thread that you are from Chili. Welcome to the forum.

Although Scouting around the world uses the basics of Scouting from Lord Baden Powell, they are run differently in each country.

In the United States a scout unit comes in many forms. We have Cub Scouts for boys roughly 5 to 11 years old. We have Boy Scouts for boys 11 to 18. We have Varsity Scouts for boys 14-18 and we have Venturing for Boys and Girls 14-21.

Each of this units has a charter partner that agrees with the Boy Scouts of America to use our program with there youth. This partner may be a church, a business, a school, a parents group, and more.

We do have professional scouters who manage about 50 to 80 units and their volunteers. They are paid. The leaders in the units are all volunteers and usually are the parents of the boys involved. So the age range can be 20's to 50's. We also have other volunteers who help train and support the unit leaders.

Our national office has a web site at: http://www.scouting.org/

Hope this answered your questions.

Overtrained

Hi nivipi, I would agree with Overtrained's explaination with a few additions and one retraction.

Scout leaders are for the most part 21 yeras old and older, men and women from all educational, income, religious, and cultural backgrounds. Many contribute their time and skills as volunteers for decades. There are a few paid unit leaders but that is a rare situation by comparison.

I would disagreee that the professional staff manage the unit volunteers, rather they support the units efforts as well as help grow the scouting movement by recruiting more youths, adults and sponsoring organizations. It is more of a support service function than a management of units and unit leaders.

Bob White

I'll avoid the grandioise statements and answer the question as best I can.

It has been my observation that, most Scout Leaders get involved as adults when their children join scouting and far too many leave Scouting when their children do. Fortunately, we do have many that stay around after their children leave and run things at the district or council levels.

We do have a good number that were Scouts and then stayed involved as Assistant Scoutmasters when they turned 18.

I do know one dedicated Scoutmaster who has no children and was never a Scout but was asked by his church to start a troop. Off he went to Scoutmaster training and Wood Badge.

My observations are based soley on my district and may not hold in other parts of the country or even other parts of my Council.