Peru -- Should I go back?

I think alpacas (despite late night televison info-mercials) are mainly in higher elevations, midway beteen llama and vicuna. So stick to countries with the Andes for alpaca. (My wife's uncle imports alpaca products to the US - we have sweaters, hats, socks, capes, wall hangings, car seats, rugs, "teddy" bears,.... there is such a thing as too much alpaca).

Galapagos is a definite must if you go to Ecuador - but it is not cheap, and involves a flight to the islands and a cruise around the islands, plus a US$100 admission fee (as of 2003).

Ecuador has it's own version of Macchu Picchu - Ingapirca. It was the seat of Incan government in Ecuador and has the remains of the city and fort.

As for bargains on native handicraft, the Saturday Indian market in Otovalo is world famous.

We got hand knit alpaca sweaters for $20 - $25.

Good luck.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peru it is. Specifically, Lima, Cusco, Kilometer 88, Ollanytaytambo, Urabamba River, etc. I can't explain why until I understand it myself. I need to go back. I missed something the first time.

I'll keep you posted. Whether I go back in 2004 or 2005, I have to go back.

My wife won't fight me on it, but she doesn't like it. Still, she understands that it's something I have to do.

Perhaps its a mid-life crisis -- but something's missing. I'll figure it out and let you know.

DS