Scout leader opn 'Survivor?"

I have to admit that I expect a certain amount of solidarity, comradarie, and support among all involved with the BSA based on the values found in the Scout Oath and Law.

I'll be the first to admit that I am as quilty as everyone else in this matter. We have a Scouter who, for whatever reason, ended up on national television on a major network on a show who's merits can be debated. There was general agreement, at least among participants in this thread, that we hoped Lill would live the Scout Oath and Law and that she wouldn't make it long on the show Survivor.

We were correct in our hopes, and those hopes were fulfilled. She lived the Scout Oath and Law. Unfortunately, we were right that she was kicked off the island.

However, we were also wrong. In an unexpected twist, she was voted back on the island a few weeks ago. Not one of us commented when she was voted off. We didn't show our support. If you think she won't see this thread, you're may be wrong. She's obviously a dedicated Scouter and for all we know, she's a member or a lurker here.

We owe Lill some support. She knows the outcome and we do not.

However, Lill is back on the island and is doing, IMHO, very well.

She is the only reason I watch this series. What happened was that there was a surprise shift. The two tribes had a challenge and the people who were voted off were formed into a third tribe. If one of the existing tribes won the challenge, they won immunity. If the people voted off won the challenge, each existing tribe had to vote off one of their own and vote back in one of the people they had previously voted off.

That led to Lill being back in the tribe.

Since then, they have voted Ruppert off (last week) and the two tribes have merged.

In another surprise twist, the people of the first tribe (I forget the name) who seemed to have ethics and morals, who were getting the snot kicked out of them early on by the less moral Ruppert tribe are now coming to the fore. It seems there's something to ethics and morals ... praise the Lord.

Now, I'll say this whether Lill is reading this stuff or not. She was seen crying in the last episode that she isn't good at anything. She's wrong. It's true that she isn't good at fishing, swimming, physical activities, etc. However, I think she, in a moment of fear, forgot that her real strengths lie in the 12 points of the Scout Law and the Scout Oath. She's got those down-pat and they will do her well. They will also do us well.

Regardless of what you think of the series, if you want to see a true Scout in Action, watch Lill on Survivor.

Now, I'll address the comment maid by Rooster earlier when he said, "Bottom Line: CBS, and probably all of the other contestants, do not care if they portray the BSA in a good light. "

I'm not a big fan of CBS, but I disagree with the statement. Perhaps Lill can set it clear after the conclusion of the series. My only evidence that perhaps CBS, but certainly Lill, wanted to show the BSA in a good light, is that the network shows a few times alcoholic beverages were consumed by participants, Lill included. In one scene, the reward was pizza and beer. A glass of beer was passed down the line. It looks like Lill took a sip, but you can't really tell. All they showed was her right arm accepting the glass and tilting it. Everyone else, you saw drink it. She was in uniform and I could not testify that she drank it. Also, when she won the pizza and beer on a catamaran trip, she was wearing a wrap around skirt and her bandanna as a halter. No uniform. Perhaps there's more respect there than is perceived.

I say, let us support the Scoutmaster of Troop 617, Cincinnati, OH. For whatever reason, she represents all of us, whether she wants to or intended to or not.

As she said on the catarmaran -- "I am the Scoutmaster!"

Indeed she is.

DS

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think I would necessarily do any better than Lil in this game - either in terms of ethics/morality or in advancing as the "sole survivor". However, I don't think she is the shinning example that dsteele has indicated. She has among other things - lied, drank, and cursed. Again, if it was me, I may have done worse - But let's not pretend that she's a poster child for the BSA.

Rooster,

I've yet to meet any scouter who could be a poster child for the BSA. I've seen a lot who "do their" dead level "best" to daily live the oath and law just like many of us Christians who fall short daily. A little grace goes a long way.

I agree. I just don't want to pretend that she's something that she's not. There are other individuals on that show that I think have shown, and continue to show, better character. She's a nice lady who's "doing her best", but she hasn't impressed me as someone who's setting a higher standard than those around her. I'm proud of the BSA, but that pride and loyalty doesn't translate into unqualified support of all Scouters.

I've never watched any of the Survivor shows, so I can't comment on the above, but I did see a People magazine which has a couple photos of her in uniform. From the insignia, I can add to her resume:

OA member

National Jamboree

Philmont

Webelos Leader Award

Scouter's Key

Scoutmaster Training Award

District Award of Merit

(another knot I can't make out)

(something which appears to be a regional insignia on her right sleeve.)

Say what you will, she seems to have earned her stripes as a Scouter.

I've been watching from the beginning and I hadn't felt that Lill had done anything really wrong until the week before last. She outright lied to Rupert, which, in my opinion, was wrong. She was playing the game but still ...lying ...hmmmm. I think she knew that what she had done was wrong. Obviously, it's just a game, but I think Rupert got the bad end of the stick.

Rupert worked so hard to take care of everyone and make sure they had food. Honestly, when they gave him the boot, I was thinking that they're going to starve. Now they're getting hungry. :0)

• 2 weeks later...

I've missed alot of the shows, but I did catch it this week to note that Lill is STILL GOING ON!

It got down to 2 men and 3 women, and one of the women (not Lill) had won the 'immunity' the 3rd time running.

Lill's uniform still looks pretty good, though! Especially those pants! (course it's too hot to wear them most of the time!)

One of the guys, (who I got the impression, thought he was a shoe-in for the #1 spot) won a prize, and he took the other guy with him on a 'holiday'. that left the three gals together, and they got together and agreed to boot him out.

Lill acted as if she had 'given up' and wanted to go home. Boy, she looks tired and alot older! (sorry Lill! I would probably look worse, though!) But that may have been part of her 'act'.

The two guys voted her out, but the three women voted the guy out.

My guess is the end is going to be between the three women - and Lill looks to be the leader of the gang at the moment.

Anybody been following the whole thing?

_________________-

As for Lill's 'scoutlike' or 'unscoutlike' behavior, I don't think she has done anything that would keep me from wanting her as my son's SM. I think she's done pretty well.

I think people need to remember, that just becasue she is stuck WEARING her uniform for weeks on end, she is NOT at a scout activity, or really anything related to scouting - We think of her as "our representative"and cheer her on, just as we would cheer someone from our hometown, or a friend - but she IS an adult, and adults do have a beer, smoke a cigarette, swear when they are pissed, lie when necessary, etc. I myself, occasionally have a glass of wine or swear occasionally. I don't get drunk, and I make a concerted effort NOT to swear (but sometimes, I DO slip) I live in a small town - it is concievable that I might run into my troop's boys at some event with a glass of wine in my hand (I don't like beer - so I never drink it) Does that make me a BAD ASM?

I think all of us would agree that 'telling the truth' can be overrated and sometimes, hurtful. So ALWAYS telling the truth is not good, either. I'm not saying it's right to lie - but Lill is PLAYING A GAME. Just like chess - is it wrong to distract your opponent with an opening to your Queen so that you can check-mate his King? isn't strategical thinking part of the game?

Anyway - i'm going to try and watch it through to the end, now - I hope Lill makes it!

Whatever happens, she's already a winner in my book!

laura

Don't watch it, don't plan to. Every time I see the commercial, I say the same thing that somebody else asked in this thread, "why is she wearing...". My wife doesn't want to hear it, but after reading this thread, I am reminded of what I have frequently said, "the hardest thing about being a scout is wearing the uniform. Because everyone knows what a scout is, they expect more of us as a result, and just because we take the uniform off, they still remember that we are scouts, and expect us to act as such." Isn't it a wonderful organization?

YIS, Keschmahalen

Lil is no worse or better than most folks. As people go, she has strong and weak points, just like anyone else. However, the question shouldn't be - Has she done anything to bring dishonor to the uniform? The question should be - If she wasn't wearing a BSA uniform, would her behavior distinguish herself as being a Scouter? While I think Lil is likeable, I dont she has done anything on the show to uplift the BSA or to distinguish herself as the lone Scouter on the island. I dont look at Lil and say to myself, I want her as mentor for my son. I look at Lil and see a lady whos doing fairly well in a competition that focuses on physical endurance, some degree of wit, but most importantly the ability to deceive others. With this last trait in mind, I dont think the game is really well-suited for someone who is striving to mentor exemplary behavior for youths.