dual registration concerns

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BobWhite says:

No, the CO has the responsibility to be a thoughtfull caretaker of the finances. To make sure that the unit is functioning properly and that it's assets are used responsibly for the scouts in the unit.

OK, that seems reasonable. I guess it is the word "own" and its variants that get things confused. What you describe, particularly in the second half of your second sentence describes a "trust" relationship, not outright ownership. I think that to most people, "own" without some other qualifying words, means that the property is yours to do what you want with, with no restrictions. (Except for special cases such as a home with a mortgage or a vehicle with a lien.) What you seem to be describing is a situation in which the CO is holding the money and is responsible for how it is spent, but that it has to be spent for the purpose for which it was raised, that is, Scouting. (Or in legal terms, the CO has legal title to the funds but not full equitable title, but I digress.)

Right?

The Scout unit is no different than the youth choir at the church. If the choir raises a bunch of money it is still the churches money as the choir is a function and organization of the church. The Charter organization owns the unit. It is their youth outreach program. The unit is administered by adults selected and approved by the CO. is it your suggestion that the CO has claim to everything accept the money?

Bob White

Bob, I noticed that you made mention of using the Scouts Social Security number. I have a stockpile of old applications and intend to continue using them. And when the time roles around that I must use the new ones, I plan to cross that off the application. I dont believe that the Boy Scouts of America needs to know a childs S.S. number. If there is an insurance claim I can then see a need, but other than that I dont believe its necessary. Am I missing something? Why cant the name, phone, address be cross-referenced for dual registration checks? Is it just me or has the BSA gone too far?

Thanks, cjmiam

"Why cant the name, phone, address be cross-referenced for dual registration checks?"

Because names are not individually unique, phone numbers change, people move. A unique identifer needed to be established and the most available and common is the SS#. It is not an unusual practice.

Bob White

cjmiam:

The social security number for youth is not reuired. Putting it in makes life easier for those who work in the council service center, but are not necessary.

However, please throw away your old applications. The new ones are free from national and the registrar in your council will appreciate being able to find the needed information in the same spots on all of the hundreds of applications they have to type in by hand at this time of year.

For adults, the social security nunmber is required. It's needed for criminal background checks. Provisions are in place for the rare adult who does not have a social security number, but for those who do have a social security number and refuse to give it, they are refusing their own registration in the BSA.

DS

I ran into the same unique problem last week on the original post concerning dual membership in two troops. I unfortunately posted my concerns in the "Open Discussion Area" under "Can A Scout be a multiple member in Two Troops?".

Normally I rarely come down to the Issues & Politics Arena. Unless there is not much traffic in the other areas. Anyway, I found the answers here. Thanks.

Matua

Bob says:

The Scout unit is no different than the youth choir at the church. If the choir raises a bunch of money it is still the churches money as the choir is a function and organization of the church. The Charter organization owns the unit. It is their youth outreach program. The unit is administered by adults selected and approved by the CO. is it your suggestion that the CO has claim to everything accept the money?

I guess I have been fortunate enough to have been involved with units that have CO's that do not exercise all of the power and control that they theoretically have. They basically leave the money in the hands of the unit treasurer. The committee perpetuates itself by recruiting new members from among the parents, with the CR signing whatever he is asked to sign. I know some won't like that. I guess I am saying that I am more comfortable with a CO that just lets the unit run itself.

Also, with the possible exception of the church that is CO for my son's current troop, I don't think that these CO's really see the Scout unit as "their youth outreach program." These units keep going because the parents of the current and former youth members want them to keep going and do what is necessary to keep them going. The CO is essentially an entity with a facility that is available and convenient. In some cases these have been organizations that many or all of the parents were members of (parent-teacher organization, property-owners association), so it is almost like the unit is controlling the CO for Scouting purposes and not the other way around. The church that is CO of my son's troop probably functions more as a CO is supposed to function, but I know they have not meddled in the troop's finances (other than to donate money to the troop.)

Rules, rules, and more rules.

I'm going to continue to let the community businesses support Scouting by giving us stuff for door prizes, auctions, etc..

In the unlikely event that the IRS comes after me, I'll get the press involved. "IRS Prosecutes Local Scout Leader for Asking Camping Store for Lantern."

• 5 years later...

Welcome to the forums, WalleyeSM. I'm afraid I can't give you a definitive answer to your question but my guess is 'yes'. Check with your district guy or the council.

However, I congratulate you on bringing a really old thread with some old, familiar personalities, back to life. Nice to have you here.