On the ninth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me Nine ladies dancing.

I've never quite 'gotten' the symbolism of these various things in the verses.

We did our annual Christmas bird count hike yesterday and cooked a traditional New Years Day meal on a campfire. But it was cold rain the whole time and not too many birds. We saw wild turkeys, hawks, a couple of species of woodpeckers, and various nuthatch/titmouse/wren species. We all were soaked but the black-eyed peas, collards, and corn bread were just fine.(This message has been edited by packsaddle)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How does it matter to you what I think?

Then again I didn't think I would run out of days before I got to Ephiphany. On Jan 6th my mother would put the three wise men in the Nativity Scene under the tree and then they stayed there until the weekend or so. Friends would come over and ask wny our Christmas stuff was still out and it would be the day after Epiphany and when I would say the Magi just got here, they would look blank

OGE, I care. I really do.

I'm just trying to account for the difference I see in your postings. My family always uses the 6th as the 12th day and I just discovered that both the 5th and the 6th are used, depending on whose tradition it is. We don't take our decorations down until the afternoon of the 6th. A lot of people here in the South take them down the day after Christmas and don't even seem to be aware of the Epiphany at all.

I agree. Plus it gives me an excuse to celebrate a little longer.

Here in the so-called 'Bible Belt', I'm just a little surprised to see how ignorant so many people are of their own faith.

Around here an Epiphany is when some bone-head realizes that he probably shouldn't be doing whatever it was that caused him just moments ago to tell everyone, "Hey, watch this!".