1st aid skill awards: remember them?

My 1st posting:

And glad to be aboard. I'm creating a display of 1st aid items (kits, photos, etc) of 1st aid related items throughout scouting. Here's my question: The 1st aid skill award changed the cross from red to green (or vice-versa)...any ideas as to why? As a young'n I received a "green cross", my brother received a "red"..how 'bout it?

hi hskydg,

I will have to check my old handbooks to be sure, but as I remember there were a few requirement changes that shifted the emphasis from home safety toward more first aid. The Green safety cross changed to the red first aid cross. I'll see if I can find the edition it changed in.

Bob White

My feeble ASM memory now remembers the safety emphasis being put on it, that was a few cobblers ago, thanks. Scouting history re: 1st aid is rather sketchy, although I am finding bits and pieces. Incidently, I am chairing a first aid meet for our Council, we utilize realistic scenarios (moulages,makeup, etc.) If anyone has ideas or can relate things that helped them, be happy to discuss it....

In my 8th edition Scout handbook the 1st Aid Skill Award cross is Red in my 9th edition handbook the 1st Aid Skill Award cross is green.

Glancing at the requirments, the green cross one has more requirments which seem to relate to the current tenderfoot requirments.

Hope this helps.

InsaneScouter

http://insanescouter.com Webmaster

webmaster@insanescouter.org

re- realistic scenarios, courtesy of the drama department: I have a couple of suggestions for realistic gore. A good blood recipe is to use Karo syrup and red food coloring. Obviously, wear garments that you don't mind getting stained. The food coloring won't come out.

For scabs or burned flesh: crunchy peanut butter with appropriate food coloring works well (& the boys like to eat it afterwards - bleh!). Use red with some green to get a darker brown color for scabs, and any combination to make black. I actually have black food coloring I got from Wilton cake decorating supply store. Put it on and let it dry out before "treatment".

Using small zip bags, like jewelry comes from, and filling it with the Karo stuff will make a fine bleeding puncture wound. Tape it on the site, then cover with clothing. Be careful you don't really puncture yourself. (I would avoid realistic eye punctures, I'm not that brave around excitable scouts. ;))

I have found that "accident stations" that the boys visit, and have to deal with realistic looking scenarios help the boys deal better with first aid issues than just working on technique at a meeting or campout. It also makes it more interesting for the older scouts who tend to think "been there, done that".

Hope some of this is helpful for you.

I don't know about the skill awards but I was told by the manager of our Scout Shop that the First Aid merit badge uses a green cross because the American Red cross owns the "Red Cross" symbol and that there are trademark issues.

I did a search in the Patent and Trademark Office's database and found that the Red Cross emblem does belong to the American Red Cross. How Johnson&Johnson get away with selling "Red Cross" cotton is one for the lawyers.