Venturing summer camp programs

Greetings -

I've come across a few examples of Boy Scout summer resident camps that also offer some type of Venturing program - usually one week, focusing on Ranger award requirements. Has anyone out there attended any such camps? How did they work for your crew? Was the program up to snuff, or did it seem like a poorly adapted "Merit Badge Plus" effort? Were there just Venturing crews there, or Boy Scout troops as well, and how did the two groups mix?

On a secondary level, I'm also wondering about general opinions: Should Venturing crews even avail themselves of a resident camp, or create their own capstone activity? What about a resident camp that offered organized daily programs, but also create-your-own-adventure opportunities?

I havent attended any Venturing only weeks so I cant comment on this. I have looked at what is available out there and many of these programs look really good but I havent had the opportunity to attend one.

I did talk with a Skipper from Maryland who has two or three Sea Scouts every year attend the two week long Road to Ranger program at the Goshen Scout Reservation in VA. Sea Scouts form this ship keep going to this so I have to think it is a pretty good program.

As to whether a Venturing Crew should go to a resident camp or create their own capstone activity it will depend on the capabilities of the crew.

I am putting together a Venturing Roundtable (or Forum) on Planning High Adventure.

In the Venturing Roundtable (or Forum) Guide it does suggest that a new crew go to a pre-arranged or planned program before trying to create their own Super-Adventure.

A crew that I know went. It's only been run the past two years. Mix of male and coed crews. They did ropes work, whitewater rafting, caving, horses, had evening socials, etc. Swimming at the Ocoee River ( where the 96 Olympic Kayak events were held ) Housing is in bunk houses. Eating in dining hall. There were several oportunities to pass off requirements. Crews were from Fl, Ga, Tenn and SC.

The Swift Base, S bar F Scout Ranch, of the Greater St. Louis Area Council has had an Explorer/Venture Base since 1966. There are 4 to 6 weeks of Venture program only during the summer. Visit stlbsa.org and check out the Swift Base in the Camping section. This camp attracts crews from around the Midwest; has challenge course, climbing on real rock, horses, water skiing, mountain biking. Program is for high school Venture members. Pretty dynamic program.