Where are we heading?

Membership in the Ship took a real hit over the summer.

We lost a number of members because they are off to college.

They remain on the charter but really if the truth were to be told, they are done and will never be really active again as youth members.

Due to working at Summer Camps and me being away training for a new position, we didn't do very much over the summer. most of the less active Scouts have let it be known that they don't think they will be coming back.

I really don't blame them and am willing to admit to thinking that I let them down.

Not just because I wasn't around, but also because I didn't do a better job of bringing more adults on board to help cover my not being around.

I can fix what needs fixed, but of course I can't undo what has been done.

I'm not beating myself up over this, as I do feel that at the end of the day I did do my best.

We are left with a handful of Scouts, who really are active and really enjoy doing things as a group.

Last week a group of us went kayaking.

We had a great time. It was a hot day but the breeze on the river was nice, we'd had a lot of rain and the river was high and running fast.

When we were done we of course had to stop for ice cream!

I gave two Scouts a ride home. Our Boatswain and Boatswain's Mate.

Two really super kids.

They spent the summer down south working at Camp Blue Heron in Georgia. Both had a really good time and the people in Coastal Empire Council did a wonderful job of looking after "My" Scouts (Thanks!)

I really was looking forward to hearing all about what they had done and the adventures they had along with the misadventures! They of course couldn't wait to tell me.

Neither of these Scouts had ever served on a summer camp staff before.

I heard about the board games that they played and how the games went on till the early hours. How TJ, lost his glasses and how Sarah had to go to the dentist, but most of what I heard were just stories about other Camp Staff members who of course I'd never met. How they teased each other, the pranks they played on each other. How So and So wore the same shirt everyday for a week.

Sarah said it was strange how very quickly the staff came together and how no one ever seemed to get really upset or mad. She went on to say that they in many ways became like one big family.

I dropped the pair of them off and drove home.

Thinking about what they had said.

We as a Ship have seemed to spend a lot of time trying to be a Ship. Using other Ships as our yardstick.

All of these Ships have been around for a very long time and all have Skipper's that have been involved in the Sea Scouting program for a very long time. They are better equipped than we are and just know more about the program than I do.

Somehow or somewhere along the line we seemed to have become so busy trying to catch up with these other Ships and the standards that they have, that we never really came together as a tight-knit group.

The Scouts we have do like the Sea Scouting program and are getting there. -Wherever there might be?

Still I'm thinking that maybe we are trying to run before we can walk?

Just as Boy Scouting isn't really about turning Boys into first class campers, Sea Scouting isn't really about turning the youth we serve into first class sailors or seamen. (Outdoors is just a method we use.)

For my part I really need to go back to basics and take a long hard look at the methods of Venturing.

If we can work on being more like a "Camp Staff Family" I think everything else will start falling into place.

Eamonn.

Don't feel too bad Eamonn, two ships in my council called it quits this summer as well, both have been around for more than ten years. This has resulted in the end of sea scouting in our council with no new prospects in the forseeable future. The reasons the skippers gave were a lack of new members and the aging out of most of the others, expenses exceeding all expectations and a lack of financial support from former contributors, another reason "the crew got tired and bored with playing sailor and the long cruises" the other skipper stated.

I think most young people today really don't want to work very hard and yet want instant results and gratification from the minimal efforts they do put in which mirrors our current youth culture in todays society.

I have to admit that when we started the Ship, the goal was to become a Ship that was very much like you might expect to see on the cover of the Sea Scout Manual.

While maybe this was my dream? I have come to see that it isn't what the Scouts really want.

We can continue doing what we have been doing with the hope that maybe one day we will make the grade.

Or we can focus on the Vision and Mission of the BSA and hopefully attract more older youth into a slightly modified program, which might one day be in line with the Ships who have years of experience.

Eamonn.

Some times we spend to much time dreaming of where we are going or what we want to become that we forget to live today and take it one step at a time to get there.

Think about this for a few minutes...

I recently was on a hike to top of a peak. The hike was challenging and rewarding in itself. I kept thinking as I worked my way up the trail about how gratifying it would be to be on top of the peak and enjoy the fruits of my labor. However, upon reaching the top of the peak all I could see was another peak. Now rather then feeling the full effects of my accomplishments all I felt was an urge to shot for that peak. Of course one day soon I will go after that peak, and I am sure have a repeat of finding another peak after that one. After all life is just endless peaks of possibilities.

I once saw a family skiing, just having a good old time. They were not great skiers but having fun. Then the saw a man hop on his skis and just fly like a bird. Later they said the man that it was unfair that he could ski like that. You know what that man said? He looked them straight in the eyes and said "No it isn't. Do you know what I have been doing for the past two years while you have been sitting in your comfy living room watching tv? I have been learning everything there is to know about my sport. I have been reading everything I could. I have been talking to anyone who would talk to me. I have been on the hill testing my limits. I gave up a lot to be where I am today. What did you give up?"

Ok in reality both of those I took from a audio book I have been listening to, however you get the idea. You know those may make good SM minutes too.

The big thing to remember is if you see someone sitting on top of a mountain remember no one dropped that person there, they worked, climbed and fought their way there themselves.

I guess these really don't have a lot to do with your problem. But this does. Do you know who a millionaire is - some one who has failed the first nine times. You are that millionaire, just get back up and fight your way back to the top. The only person who fails is the one that does not try again.

Ok I am done spouting words from motivation seminars that I have never attended... hope these words help some...

Scott Robertson

http://insanescouter.org

E,

Be it band, drama club, or a Sea Scout Ship, youth want a place where there is mutual respect, a bit of competition, and a lot of friendly fun.

Take the time to do a full inventory with the folk you have. Set aside your vision; let them develop their collective vision. Allow them to adjust the vision as they need to, year to year.

You saw it with OJ on camp staff, as I did with Eagle Son on camp staff... staff becomes family because they are together 24/7 for an extended period of time. You can replicate that through consistent fun and challenging activities, be they nautical related, or be they a road rally.

They're almost adults... let them do some of the guiding.. :) Most of them will surprise you :)