Do Venturers Need 2B Dual-Registered to Earn Eagle?

My 15-year-old Life Scout son is CONSIDERING joining a new Venturing Crew soon (since his old troop is "folding"). He can join another nearby troop, or join the Venturing Crew and still work on his Eagle Scout (only 2 Eagle-required MBs and Eagle Project are left). Due to High School time pressures, he's doesn't really have the time to be truly "active" in two Scouting units simultaneously. He's already served in a troop-level leadership position for 6 months as a Life Scout.

I read through the BSA Venturing literature and the past year's posts on this forum, but still have these questions:

1) Does the Life Scout have to be "dual-registered" in a Boy Scout troop to earn merit badges?

2) Does he have to be a registered Boy Scout in order to wear his Merit Badge sash and old Boy Scout uniform at his Eagle Court of Honor?

3) Can one receive an Eagle Court of Honor via the Venturing Crew, and wear just the Venturing uniform at the ceremony (no merit badge sash, neckerchief, etc.)?

So long as he is already first class, he does not need to be duel registered to continue earning merit badges and rank advancement (including to eagle). If he were to continue through the venturing crew, I am not sure if he would need to serve in a venturing POR or if the troop one would count.

While I do not know for fact, I do not believe he would be allowed to where the Boy Scout uniform or merit badge sash, if he is not registered in a troop. He can simply wear the Venturing uniform (whatever his crew decided to adopt).

Our Crew has held several Eagle Courts of Honor. We've had a mix of young men, all of whom were dual registered, go through.

At Eagle Son's ECOH, he and one other were in Venturing Class A. The others in his group of six wore Scout Class A. Those who were Arrowmen opted to wear their sashes and belt their MB sashes. One who wasn't wore his MB sash. All were at least Hardway Warriors of Mic-o-Say, naturally they wore their claws.

To a man they were HS Juniors and Seniors. Four had just come from a HS parade. All were handsome.

As to the dual registry... here is what BSA Requirements #33215 says:

Any male Venturer who has achieved the First Class rank as a Boy Scout in a troop or Varsity Scout in a team may continue advancement toward the Star, Life, and Eagle Scout ranks up to his 18th birthday.

He must meet the requirements as prescribed in the official Boy Scout Handbook and the current Boy Scout Requirements book. The Venturer may fulfill leadership requirements by serving as president, vice president, secretary, or treasurer of his crew, or as boatswain, boatswain's mate, yeoman, purser, or storekeeper for his ship.

The Scoutmaster conference will be conducted by the Advisor or Skipper. As the Venturer meets requirements for the Star and Life ranks, a board of review will be conducted by the crew or ship committee. The Eagle board of review should follow the procedures established by the local council.

That is a direct quote of National Policy

http://www.scouting.org/boyscouts/resources/32215/eligibility.html#ven

(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)

Thanks for the replies so far. To summarize, it sounds like my son won't have to be dual-registered in a Boy Scout troop because (1) He's a Life Scout, (2) He's already served as a troop "Position of Responsibility" for 6 months as a Life Scout, and this is signed-off on his Boy Scout Handbook and Eagle Scout Application form, (3) He can have an Eagle Court of Honor wearing his Venturing "Class A" uniform (no merit badge sash).

Again (due to High School time pressures), my son won't be able to be truly "active" in two Scouting units simultaneously. Being a phantom member of a troop isn't fair to his patrol-mates anyway. IF he joins this new Venturing Crew, he'll spend all of his time and energy there.

Yah, have him join the crew and put the energy into one program, eh? I think that's definitely the way to go.

No problem finishin' up Eagle in the crew. No need to be dual registered. The crew should be happy to do his Eagle process and Court of Honor. To honor them in return, he should probably wear the crew uniform, eh? Personally, though, I think it'd also be just fine to wear his Boy Scout uniform if it was OK with the crew and he felt it was important to him. Like J-in-KC, I don't think most of us quibble about such things. (OA sash at a non-OA function? "Belt" the MB sash?? Tut tut :) )

I hope your son has a fantastic time in Venturing. That should be a nice step from a troop that's closin' down, and probably a better fit for "high school time pressures."

Beavah

"1) Does the Life Scout have to be "dual-registered" in a Boy Scout troop to earn merit badges? "

As noted, no. The policy for Venturers to earn Eagle as Venturers is clearly stated in the BSA Requirements booklet.

Be aware that girls in Venturing can not earn merit badges.

"2) Does he have to be a registered Boy Scout in order to wear his Merit Badge sash and old Boy Scout uniform at his Eagle Court of Honor?"

If he is no longer a Boy Scout, he really shouldn't wear a Boy Scout uniform. If he earned is Eagle as a Venturer, it's almost a slap in the fact to his crew to now wear his Boy Scout uniform, especially if he's no longer a Boy Scout.

In my area, we have several Eagles who earn this in their Crews. I see them wear their Venturing uniforms at the Eagle Banquets.

Btw, the merit badge sash is not part of the Venturing uniform. Have him instead setup a display table with what he has done in scouting and put the sash there.

"3) Can one receive an Eagle Court of Honor via the Venturing Crew, and wear just the Venturing uniform at the ceremony (no merit badge sash, neckerchief, etc.)? "

Most certainly. See my comment above about the Venturers at our Eagle Banquets.