I was busy sending E-mails.

As ever the BSA hasn't done a very good job of providing clear information.

If you go to:

http://www.seascout.org/about/getting_started/how_to_organize_a_ship.html

and read:What Does a Sea Scout Ship Do?

It states:Some Sea Scout Ships prefer to plan their program around some specialty such as sailing, careers, scuba diving, or an aquatic sport. They may not utilize Sea Scout uniforms and advancement but offer a flexible program to those young adults having a specific career or hobby interest

Which would seem to me to say that Ships can elect to wear what ever.

But..

If you read page 107 of the Sea Scout Manual it reads :

The National Sea Scout Committee adopted the uniforms in this manual as the only official Sea Scout uniform.

For what it's worth my interpretation of all this is.

There is an official Venturing Uniform; the green shirt and charcoal pants.

But Crews can design their own uniform.

There is the official Sea Scout Uniform, but just as in Crews, Ships can design their own uniform.

My feeling is that if a Sea Scout Ship is going to follow the Sea Scout advancement plan they more than lightly would go for the official Sea Scout uniforms. The working uniform is easy and not very expensive. You can use Dickie's shirts and pants. I'm buying seconds from the company that supplies the U.S. Navy and the Shirt and pants are costing $14.50, the belt is under $4.00. We have the Sea Scouts B.S.A. Embroidered on for $4.00 add a flag and a CSP. The total cost is just over $30.00

Whites cost about $25.00 for the Jumper and pants, the necker costs about $6.00 the hat about $5.00. Then there is the cost of patches and embroidery it's still less than $45.00.

Blues are a little more. I think they are unnecessary, but our Scouts like them they think they look cool. But with 13 buttons on the fly I hope they never get caught short!!

I have to admit they do look really great in them and they cause a stir in our small town. We are by far the best looking Scouting unit in the Council. Everyone wants us to do flag ceremonies for them!! Not bad for a unit with a English Skipper!!

Eamonn.

Eamon, I am retired navy and served with the funeral detail and honor guards in Long Beach CA. Your Sea Scouts who perform flag ceremonies may consider wearing the dress blue uniform with the addition of white leggings and a white guard belt.

If they do wear the white belt, be sure to tuck the jumper top into the trousers and use the belt to cover the tuck-in, it will look very sharp!

My son is joining our local SSS and I am sure i will help out as an adult advisor.

"Can Sea Scout Ships elect their own uniforms the way that Venture Crews can?"

Its Venturing Crews, not 'Venture Crew'.

Yes, Sea Scout Ships can design their own uniforms. I know of several that do. I've heard of some Ships out in California who wear aloha shirts with sea scout insignia on them. Have seen a ship that wears a blue fishing shirt.

The National Sea Scout Committee has set down the standard for Sea Scout uniforms, which is shown in the current Sea Scout Manual. They mandate these uniforms for National/Regional Sea Scout events (SEAL courses, Koch Cup, some regional sea scout regattas/rendezvous, National Jamboree, etc). So if you ship (or its members) are going to participate with these things, keep that in mind.

Keep in mind that the Sea Scout uniform is a modified naval uniform. As such, you can use naval surplus and other sources AND they are a lot cheaper then the current BSA uniforms. I do occasional work with Sea Scouts at the council level, and have both a white and tan uniform. I had mainly got them for 'demonstration' purposes, but as the cost was so reasonable, it wasn't a big deal.

Most sea scout should consider having a set of white crackerjacks. Most of the adults I know around here have a set of white. I see an occasional youth in white uniforms like the adults wear or the chambray blue work uniform. An occasional adult will show up in whites. Almost no one down here has blues.

Sea Scouts can wear any uniform they choose, but if they participate in national events, they must wear the standard whites or blues as shown in the Manual. Some of the regattas require them for units who want to compete in some events. Otherwise, you're on your own.