I was talking with out councils NYLT course director over the weekend.

He said that NYLT was open to Venturing Crews.

Our council has yet to run NYLT as it was canceled last year due to not enough scouts signing up.

I asked him what would be required for a Crew member to attend.

I know that the Troop JLT is recommended to attend NYLT but he wasn't sure if there was something like this for Venturing.

He also wasn't sure about how to handle female Venturers at this.

Is this training suited to Venturing Crews?

Is there recommended training for a Crew to take before attending?

In my opinion, Venturers have no business attending NYLT. NYLT is aimed at training boy scouts. Venturers are not boy scouts.

Now, some may say that the leadership skills learned in NYLT may be applied to Venturing. While that is true, the delivery method used in NYLT is to organize the boys into patrols within a model troop. As Venturing crews are NOT organized this way, this would cause confusion from Venturers not familiar with troop operations.

And how are they to handle female Ventures???

Venturers have their own leadership development training in VLSC, Kodiak, and Kodiak-X. They are better off having a council-organized VLSC that trying to get Venturers to go to NYLT.

I wonder what kind of answer I'd get if I asked the guys at National that question??

Talking just for myself.

I have to admit to being a little upset when we try and make Venturing(and I'm including Sea Scouts) into Boy Scouting for older kids.

We (The Ship and yours truly) seem to be getting the reputation of not supporting the District because we don't participate in District Boy Scout events:Camporees, First Aid competitions and the like.

What don't these people understand?

We are not Boy Scouts.

I'll openly admit that being as we are so new I have gone out of my way to try and ensure that we don't get involved with Boy Scout events.

We have a very full program, our Sea Scouts are busy, many of the boys are still in Troops and if they want to participate in a Boy Scout event they of course are free to do so.

Eamonn.

Off topic, but I agree with Eamonn 110%!!! Venturing is NOT Boy Scouts! We are part of the BSA umbrella, just as Cub Scouts are. Our Venture Crew is a "High Adventure" crew. When a District (Boy Scout) event lends itself to our focus, we consider attending. However, WE DO OUR OWN THING. We like that we have access to BSA property for HA activities. But we are not Boy Scouts, we do not operate like a troop, and we have our own training.

CNY (et al)

Greetings!

I think your second question has been address, but your first question. Is this training suited to Venturing Crews? No. Good lessons for life, but not written for the Venturing Program.

A few comments to add.

EMB021 and OGE made a few good comments. VLSC is about an eight hour class, but the follow on is KODIAK about a 5 day trek. I've been requesting my own Council to conduct its first KODIAK soon. Bill E. at the Venturing Division, National Office stated that it may be done it the high adventure outdoors or in downtown New York, its very transportable. KODIAK is the comparable Venturing class to NYLT and WOODBADGE.

That being said....

At NYLT Staff Development this past weekend, my oldest son brought his manual over to me during a lesson. My son pointed out the words "he or she" in a patrol exercise on day six. However the Participant Age and Range Requirement in the Staff Guide says the participant must have (or exceeded) 13 years of age, Be a First Class Scout and Scoutmasters recommendation. The young ladies in Venturing can not have achieved the First Class rank or Scoutmasters recommendation. "She" must have been a typo... lol

I hope to hear how much fun and how many Commissions your Venturers have learned at KODIAK!!!!

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv