Need info on New Venturing Crew

"If going through crap to get a Venturing crew up and running, and even trying to get them focused only reached ONE single youth that would have headed down the wrong track, I would think it would be worth it."

This sounds good.

Sad thing is that it just doesn't work.

Any unit that is worth it's salt is always trying to reach out and help that one youth and every youth.

The "Crap" as you call it is needed in order to have the unit set up with a good foundation and the organization that will support the unit. Without it the unit isn't going to last long and will not be reaching anyone. In fact these one year wonders do a lot of harm . -They burn up members. Youth who have been in a failed unit feel that they have been let down and rarely if ever return to Scouting.

IMHO,if you see this as "Crap" maybe it is better that you don't start a new Venturing Crew.

Eamonn.

Hi..it's not.

I had 2 teachers from my daughters school willing to jump in with both feet and help me get it off the ground but to be quite honest just the feel from this forum has talked me out of it.

As I said before, if I can't get support on here (a forum that is supposed to support me) then how can I ever expect to make it.

I feel as though I am doomed to fail because of nobody morally backing me.

Oh well, maybe I could have reached more kids, maybe not.

Thing is, my eyes have been opened to a lot of things in scouting recently and the taste in my mouth is definitely not a good one.

"Hi..it's not.

I had 2 teachers from my daughters school willing to jump in with both feet and help me get it off the ground but to be quite honest just the feel from this forum has talked me out of it.

As I said before, if I can't get support on here (a forum that is supposed to support me) then how can I ever expect to make it.

I feel as though I am doomed to fail because of nobody morally backing me. "

I'm sorry, but I do not understand these comments. This forum is not a 'support' forum, but a discussion forum for those involved in Venturing. All of us here have tried to give you information to help you be successful in what you are doing, and in fact this is but one of several on-line resources on Venturing. Your 'support' should be coming from your home council in the form of your unit commissioners and other volunteers and professions. As it seemed from your comments that these people were not giving you all the information you need, we have helped out the best we can' To say that 'nobody morally backed me' makes no sense. I think all of us what you to succeed, but we ALSO want you to have complete information to be able to make the right decisions and be successful.

Emb I ditto your comments. Boxie it sounded to me from the start your heart really wasn't into doing the preparation, training and work into getting a crew started. You need a minimum of five adults in your crew and each one should be assisting you with the tasks involved. Secondly, Boxie your support should be coming from your council DE and district venturing leaders not the internet. A Venturing crew can be a great joy, but it is also a lot of work to get started and be and stay successful. There is plenty of help available to you, all you have to do is ask. Blaming this forum for not starting a crew is just a copout at best, you need to have the desire and determination to make it happen. All of us Venturing advisors have been where you are now, if you want it bad enough it will happen, blaming and excuses will only lead to failure.

Ms Boxie Lady,

I second what both emb021 and Backpacker have told you. We are mostly volunteers like yourself. We have access to some resources, and we are gladly willing to share those resources with you.

We are NOT a substitute for your Council SE, your DE, the Commissioner Service, Training Committee or the Venturing Officers Association. All of those folks are local to your home.

We've provided resources to find as well as expressed specific reservations and concerns ... BASED on your input to us. We've tried to give you feedback by first confirming we're attacking the question you're asking, and then working to put resources that answer your question to hand.

Being a Scouter isn't easy, especially when you're starting up a program. You need to find your core of youth (minimum 5 to charter a unit) and your core of volunteers (again minimum 5) and coach and mentor them to get and stay pumped up. Their high energy will help you maintain high energy. If a Scouter, in particular, is lacking desire to be "part of the game", then that is a specific and relatively high risk YOU must manage.

Good Scouting to you.