Our troop is doing a color guard for a pro baseball team, and just wanted to make sure we do it correct. The boys will have U.S. flag, state and then troop flag.

The U.S flag goes in the center...the state to the right of that and troop flag on the left.

Now is it right-left according to the stadium or to the color guard?

If the Color Guard is facing you the order should be USA,State,Troop The senior-most flag goes to the right of the color guard.

The scout furthest to the right is the caller. The scout furthest to the left is the honor guard the scouts carrying flags are, wait for it..... flag bearers.

Also as they march the US Flag (Colors)should never "retreat" or go backwards. Make sure to practice calls,marching, and turns before getting to the field so it feels more natural then if possible once or twice on "Game Day" before showtime. To look and sound better the calls should be as soft as possible heard by the color guard but not by the everyone else.

When the National Anthem is played the State and Troop flags should dip, the Colors hold steady.

Clear as mud?

Phillip Martin

AK-Eagle

akpmartin@hotmail.com

Memories fade with time but I looked at the picture and it doesn't look like my old color guard. We had two guys with rifles and five or six flags all commanded by a guy with a sword. My memory is that the commander marched in front of us. I'll have to dig out my FM 22-5 and check what it says.

The American flag is always the rightmost flag.

For more information download

http://usasma.bliss.army.mil/pubs/FM_22-5/PDF/ch9.pdf

This is the chapter of the Army's manual of drill that covers color guards among other things. It specifies that the fellow with American flag is the commander of the detail. Which makes me wonder why we had the guy with the sword. We may have been a college ROTC detail but our advisor was an Army officer whose last posting had been with the ceremonial guard unit in DC. I guess that will be one of those mysteries of life.

Bear in mind that this is the ARMY way of doing things, it is NOT law. If you as a Boy Scout unit come up with another way of doing a color guard that looks good and is respectful of the flag and presents the appearance being a color guard, do it.

Thanks for the link FOG I got it bookmarked for future ref.

Here is a link to the Navy/Coast Guard version We call it NTP 13

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/tcpet/tpf/mrnsms/Support%20Files/ntp13b.pdf

Scoutmaster Ron

1. Honor guard

2. Troop flag

3. State flag Stadium/Audience

4. US Flag

5. Honor Guard (caller)

FOG is correct, the US Flag is the right most flag then your state flag then your troop flag.

In military color details the Honor guards are called Riflemen but since BSA is not a military organization and will not carry rifles we called them Honor Guards.

Hope this hasn't confused the issue.

Phil

Several years ago, my pack did color guard at a high school basketball game...

We only had three people so we had the state flag to the left, the US flag in the middle, and the pack flag on the right, BUT we didnt have them in a straight line like most. Indstead, we had the the pack and state flags on the volleyball lines on the court while having the American flag on the half court line therefore making an arrow shape.