What would be involved in turning our crew into a Sea Scout Ship? What in your opinions would be the advantages/disadvantages.

All I'm seeing is that we could do all the Venturing and add the opportunity to do the Sea Scouting.

Thanks for any opinions.

I would have to research it a bit, but I'll venture (sorry for the pun) a guess based on what needs to be done to turn a troop into a varsity team. You won't get my researched answer until after the first of the year (fair warning.) I'm just puttering around until my wife gets home and then it's off for Michigan and Christmas with the family.

From a paperwork standpoint, I believe the charter for the Crew will have to be allowed to drop and new charter paperwork be filed for the Ship. In essence, the Crew would die and the Ship would be new. The unit tenure for the crew would end.

In the end, to the council count, the number of units will remain the same. Because Sea Scouting is a part of Venturing, the membership in the council will be unaffected, so you should not receive any resistance from the professionals.

From a program side of things -- which is what I'm sure you're mostly concerned about -- I think you would have expanded opportunities. Changing to a ship could change your uniform (Sea Scouts have the coolest uniforms, IMHO) as well as titles of youth and adult leaders. It does expand the advancement opportunities -- you can work on Quartermaster as well as Ranger and both are impressive awards.

I say, go for it!

There will be paperwork to fill out -- new applications all the way around. Your council can provide these: Youth applications, adult applications, new unit application, etc.

It is not a matter of simply changing something on the charter paperwork when it's time to recharter the crew. I'll check, but I'm pretty sure on this one.

Best of luck to you!

DS