Pick me, I would be a good Unit Commissioner

After posting in the thread that I spun this from (almost 2 years ago), I decided that if I could be critical of my UC and DC for not doing their job, then it's time to step up to the plate and show them how it's done. Well, I did approach a miriad of people at our Council; both at the offices and at Round Table meetings. When I approached them, I didn't come at them with the attitude that I was going to solve all the World's Scouting problems, but I did explain that I had gained a lot of experience and that I was ready to give back by helping other units. Everyone that I talked to acted like they would be happing to have my involvement. I was advised to take Commissioner Training which I did. I assumed after the training that I'd get a call, but never did. I spoke with many of the people that seemed most interested and while they did still seem interested, never invited me to get involved and promised phone calls never happened. Finally, I gave up trying to get involved in our Council. I've adopted the attitude that it's about the boys and working at the Unit level with the boys is what's most rewarding; so that's where I am now. Afterall, I shouldn't have to beg them to let me get involved. ;-)

ASM59

How lucky to be in a Council where there's a waiting list of trained, qualified, prospective Commissioners. We only have about a third of our slots filled, if you want to move here.

Seriously, though...how about fill out an application and attach a check to it for the registration fee. Once you get your membership card, call the DC and ask "I'm your new Commissioner. What units are assigned to me?"(This message has been edited by scoutldr)

ASM59,

I feel your pain. Same situation happened to me in the Dallas area back in 99/00. I approached District as well as put out at Roundtable that I would volunteer for any position except SM/CM (due to work schedule) and had many, including DE say they were interested but never called even after multiple attempts by me. Basically, I was a Yankee and that precluded me from being in the "good o'le boys network" in Allen TX.

I am happy to be serving in El Paso now. Sadly at the District level woth no support for position. That will change next year (different District) or Unit support only.

Glad you are still volunteering.

YiS,

Rick

ASM59, sorry to hear they didn't call. I've been a UC in three councils...one, was treated with extreme indifference (big commissioner staff festooned with uniform doo dads but little interest in helping the troops); second, was brought into the fold quickly ; third, and present, good rapport overall.

I like being a UC but frankly, once I retire from the military and hopefully gain some stability in life (own a home, establish a hometown, put down roots), I'll look to serve at troop level as an ASM or committee member. For the present, being a UC has more flexibility and I can still fulfill my commitments when I'm not out of town.

Wow, don't mean to give the impression that there's a waiting list, they're always complaining that there are not enough volunteers. I guess it's a matter of not being invited by the "good old boys club". I was trying to step into the club instead of being invited or perhaps "groomed" for the job. They really don't want anyone who might do things differently than "we've always done it".

There really is only one way to do it in Scouting and that's according to the book. But the reality is that we don't always do it by the book and we wouldn't want anyone to call us on it.

ASM59

Who did you talk to at Roundtable and at your council office? Did you approach your Troop's UC? Any other UC in your area? The District Commissioner? How about any of the Asst Dist Commissioners? Did you discuss this with your DE?

Unit Commissioners are appointed by your District Commissioner, and approved by the Council Executive Board. Even though there is a need for UC's, they do not (or at least should not) usually accept just any warm body. They need to know you first.

Have you worked with District volunteers in any capacity? Have you volunteered to help out at any District, or Council, event? Do any of the District Commissioner, or Training, staff know you? Can any of them vouch for you?

I would recommend that when they ask at Roundtable for volunteers to help at council/district events that you sign up. Show them that you know what you are doing and that you know about Scouting. Let them get to know you.

As ScoutNut said, the District Commissioner is the person you need to be talking to if you want to become a UC. ADCs are good too, since one of their roles is to recruit more UCs, but the DC is responsible for the commissioner staff on the district level, which includes, UCs.(This message has been edited by nolesrule)

One of the hats I wear is UC. I came by that when I couldn't fit my WB tickets into a "Boy Scout" area (I was/am ASM, and one's WB tickets must be "from" one's registered area), so at my WB trainers' suggestion, I became a UC, which can dip into CScouts and BScouts and VScouts. I filled out the Adult Scouter Application, marked "UC" on it, paid my $ten, turned it in to the Council office, and took the Commissioner Basic Training, which happy coincidence was scheduled for the next month. I then turned up at the next District Commissioner Committee meeting (Council office told me), "surrendered " to the District Commissioner. He was surprised to meet me, hadn't been "done" that way before, but ok, always room for one more.

As it turned out, my WB projects involved several units, so I nominated myself (with the DE's blessing) six units to UC for. Again, happy coincidence, those six had no official active UC, so the DC said ok.

Now, I can't say that I am the perfect UC, but in that bailiwick, for those six, I am the only game in town. Do I meet the UC recommendation of a visit a month? Well, not a physical visit, but counting email and phone calls, I probably do.

I agree with Scoutnut. Make yourself known. Work in any capacity in the District: Cub Daycamp, Camporees, training sessions (Basic, Leader Specific, IOLS, where ever), round tables, service projects. Call the leader of THAT activity. If you come up with Scout activities that would be attractive to multi Units (museum overnights, park projects, etc.) propose them to your District officers and write them up for your District newsletter.

You will find outlet for your talents and leadings. Put more nails in your closet door for the extra hats.

I've spoken with many, many, many people. Let's start with our UC. What UC? Our Unit does not have a UC assigned. I've spoken directly with our District Commish to verify that it's not just my suspicion. He doesn't think we need one, because our program is running fine. Not that he knows that first hand (he's never been to our unit meeting), but he has heard that it's running fine. Speaking of our DC, I've known him and his wife for 12 years. We've been out for breakfast and sat together over coffee many times. I personally handed him an application and he said he'd submit it and get back to me. He is one of the people that promised phone calls back. Did I mention that I followed up with several phone calls after handing in the application? He never returned one of the phone calls.

In addition to the above, I have also spoken with or sent e-mails to: the District Advancement Chairperson and a couple of people on the Advancement Committee, the District Training Chairperson and at least one person on the Training Committee, a District Commish from another district (to make sure I was speaking to the right people), and our District Executive. The DE promised to look into why I never got a call back, but he never called me back. The next time I saw him was at the annual Council Dinner and he did not remember our conversation. These contacts were spread out over about a year-and-a-half...

We all get busy and I'm not angry or even upset; just disappointed. It's like I said before, "I shouldn't have to beg them to let me get involved".

ASM59

I just have to add that yes, I am know at Council by the paid staff and by many of the volunteers on the various committees and some who are serving as Commissioners. I seem to have a good reputation. I have also volunteered at many events, from camporees to Cub Day camps. I even took two weeks of vacation time to help staff at the Provisional Camp-site one year because they were in a pinch. By the way, I used the word staff, but it was really volunteered. So yes, I am known and have helped out successfully in the past.

ASM59

So, ASM59, as they say in Louisiana... How's by you?

Did your Council receive your adult application accompanied by a $ten check? Even if your DE is ADHD and misplaces stuff, the Council office should be able to affirm/deny your application arrival and you should know if the check gets cashed.

Then, you say you attended the Commish Training, so you have a graduation card, yes? Council should have a copy of that. If not, you can send them a copy

With all those chickens lined up, you can approach the District Commish and say "here I am, ready to go."

Ask to attend the Commish comittee meeting.

If you personally know of some needy unit(s), I see no reason why, with your credentials in order, you could not approach the DC and ask to be assigned, officially, to that (those) unit(s).

So, How'sbayou?

SSScout,

The short answer is "yes".

As stated, I turned in my application to my DC, and yes there was money involved although I cannot remember how much. That doesn't really matter because I have talked to the Council Registrar who acknowleges the fact that my application was received and that my money was received. The phone calls that I followed up with were not only to the DC, but to some of the others that I mentioned before. And for sure I have talked to different people at Summer Camp and District events. Promises to get back to me never happen. I really think that its because I'm not a part of the "good old boys' club".

Quite frankly, it's as Scoutldr said, "It's always better to be wanted than to be qualified." If I'm not wanted (as evidenced by their actions) then I'm through trying; and I did try. I'll be happy to keep working at the unit level as long as I can.

ASM59