Lisa

Yes I have tried calling my DE. Still have not heard back from her. Tired the office and her cell.

Eagle92: I have no issues with the SE. HE seems to be on-board with the idea of "Put the outing in scouting"

Anyway, I think my main point is that there seems to be a change that I have not heard about. Even though the round up is supposed to be in three hours, I still have not heard back from her.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Folks for whatever reason the way SctDad describes roundups is how it's done here for whatever reason. it was liek this when I was a DE 11 years ago. Why I have no idea. But the DE is responsible for making contact withe superintendent to get the Ok to go to the schools, then the individual principals to schedule the boy talks and and the nites for RU. Then whatever packs, or troops for the MS, that are interested in recruiting at a particular school, that's who comes. get's interesting when 2 or more packs show up.

Also this happened last week. My pack was the only pack that went to a small private school. Only 3 boys showed up to join, and they already knew what packs they wanted to join. None of them joined us.

• 4 months later...

PD-L1 0804 here. The only required training: Youth Protection, Fast Starts for each program. That's it. I did it all one evening in the office while waiting for a meeting to start. Granted, I had already done them as a volunteer first, but it was a good refresher to have them done again. I was one of two Wood Badge trained in my course.

I saw right away as soon as I met my volunteers that they had relied solely upon the DE in the past to make things work. I took a servant-based leadership model to heart and began to restructure and actually form a district committee that met for the first time in ten years. During your first year on the job, there's some flexibility as far as the numbers game is concerned, and I used that time to build a committee that is still growing.

Money, manpower and membership, the 3 "Ms" that professionals get graded on. What my volunteers graded me on? Did she camp at the camporee? Did she drive to my Blue and Gold and buy something at the auction? Did she come to my training and introduce herself? Did she drive 2 hours to the service center to buy my patches?

I see the role of a DE as a servant to the district. If everyone else does their part, the DE can do theirs and everyone wins.

I haven't read everything in this thread, but one thing irks me about most of the DE's that we've had: They cannot communicate well.

Oral: Needs to be concise. Use the correct words, not just something close to what you mean. Be explicit.

Written: Learn how to write effectively. Especially when you present yourself as a professional. Too much written communication (letters, fliers, and emails) are very poorly done - most middle school students would not be able to get a passing grade on a paper written as poorly as some DE communications. It is embarrassing. Seeing letters from my DE addressed to "Troop Masters" does not engender my sense of confidence in the Pro.

I would bet that the lack of impeccable communication skills has a direct bearing upon the ability to attract donors and their money...

Henkins stated "During your first year on the job, there's some flexibility as far as the numbers game is concerned, and I used that time to build a committee that is still growing.

I'm glad your SE and DFS allowed you to flexibility with numbers, but I can assure you that not every SE and DFS is like that. In fact I know of one DE who did not make Winners' Circle after 3 months on the job. And part of his 3 months included a professional planning conference and PDL1!