Professional title confusion

Spinning off per a wise ol' mod! :)

Discussion in the Eagle problems thread about the difference between a District Director and a District Executive reminded me of my recent reading of my councils staff list, where title mania (and inflation?) seems to be widespread. I know we love those BSA acronyms, but this seems a bit much!

In addition to District Executives, District Directors and Senior District Executives (with no notation as to what any of those mean in relation to each other), we have both a Director of Field Service and a Field Director. The latter apparently reports to the former, an assumption I'm only making because of the order of their names.

We also have two Program Directors - not to be confused with the seasonal summer camp Program Directors, whom the Council Program Directors supervise in their capacity as Camp Directors at our two council summer camps.

And a Director of Support Services - who was promoted from a job as Camp Director just as the job was renamed Program Director - oversees the Council Program Directors and Camp Rangers.

(That last bit struck me as odd, because my time on camp staff taught me that support services were the behind-the-scenes things that didnt report to the program side. I also think it says a lot that camp and program is designated as "support" to the fundraising and administrative side.)

But my broader point is this: If you were an outsider, say a parent, with a problem, scanning a staff list and trying to figure out whom to direct your query to ... how the heck would you figure it out? Yes, you could always call the council offices and ask. But it'd be far more user-friendly to have some self-explanatory job titles from the get-go, wouldn't you think?(This message has been edited by shortridge)

As Committee Chairman I make it very clear to parents that they should voice their concerns to:

Scoutmaster: Activities, Meetings, Campouts, and Behavior of other Scouts

Activities Coordinator: Summer Camp

Advancement Coordinator: Advancement and Advancement Requirements

Treasurer: Scout Accounts and Fundraising

If these people can't answer this concerns then call me.

If I can't answer your concerns I'll get you the answer. My chain of command would be to the Chartered Organization Rep. If they can't find the answer I would then as the Unit Commish.

The problem with being from Delaware appears to be a lack of opportunity. Opportunity of title proliferation. 'Round here, near our Nations Capitol, along with all the worthy folks you mention, we also boast of Deputy District Executives, Regional Directors (overseeing multiple Districts), various Assistant Scout Executives and, altho I can't remember the men's titles, a few Pros that hold sway over multi State Areas (Central Atlantic?). Then I know a fellow who is a "Water Front Manager Trainer", travels around to various camps and training... WFMs!

We could talk about us non-pros, too...

If I didn't know shortridge lives in DE, and I in Flyover Country, I'd swear we were in the same Council.

We're a 300 series Council: Big, but not quite as big as Houston TX or Chicago.

Underneath our SE, we have two guys:

Director of Field Services: He supervises all the unit serving Professionals

Two Field Directors report to him: Each of them manage six District teams.

Now, the # of professionals working a district depends on the number of units in it. Our Council seems to have a target of one professional for every 40 units. Thus, some districts have a single DE. Some have professional teams. Mine is one of those. We have a DD, a Sr DE and a wet behind the ears DE.

Confused? Good. BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!!!!

The Director of Support Services owns:

- The Comptroller

- The Endowment Director (an attorney), who goes after the philanthropy.

- The Finance Directors (one guy year round works FOS, the other popcorn, they share the golf tournament and the sporting clays tournament).

- The Program Director, Scout Reservation A, and its Ranger and Asst Ranger.

- The Program Director, Scout Reservation B, and its Ranger and Ranger staff (10 guys... it IS out in the boonies).

- The Registrar and her shop.

Thank God Supply Corporation runs the Scout Shop.

"What's a Varsity Scout Coach?"

Ok couldn't resist.

Yeah I should have remembered those two PORs as well, especially skipper since I got Shanghied into being listed as the skipper of a ship once.(This message has been edited by eagle92)

Fellow scouters,

You are correct: I should have included Crew Advisor, Sea Scout Skipper and Varsity Scout Coach along with Scoutmaster and Cubmaster...my apologies for the oversight, and I salute all the fine ladies and gents that serve in these key positions.

• 10 months later...

This is an interesting thread that I thought I would try to post a definitive post to try and explain. The titles and duties can be confusing, especially in the middle ranks. I will try to post them from top to bottom in order of rank.

Scout Executive - CEO of the Council and Secretary to the Board every council except one has this position

-----------

Senior Management (most of these positions should be considered equal with the DFS being most equal)

Director of Field Services - COO, leads all field staff (District Executives, District Directors and Field Directors) and where it exists, must be the #2 position in the council. It typically exists in medium-large to large councils.

Assistant Scout Executive - Again, usually the number two position. this position must have some responsibility for program, fundraising AND field service. Some large councils have this position in addition to the Director of Field Services and some call it Deputy Scout Executive.

Director of Support Services - Usually supervises program directors, camping directors and support staff. think of this person in charge of all the programmatic and in-office staff.

Director of Finance Services - Leads the council's fundraising staff, typically consisting of at least two Finance Directors.

----------------------

Middle Management (all of the titles in this group are generally equals)

Field Director - Responsible for the direction and training of two or more District Executives, Senior District Executives or District Directors. Does not have a permanent District assignment, but regularly fills vacancies as needed. Considered a Unit Serving Executive

District Director - The same position as a Field Director, except they have a permanent District Assignment. Sometimes a District Director Could be supervised by a Field Director, but only in large Field Director assignments. Considered a Unit Serving Executive

Finance or Development Director - Typically does not supervise other professionals, but is an experienced Executive who is primarily focused on fundraising.

Program or Camping Director- The same as a Finance Director, except focused on Camping or Program.

-------------------

Entry-level

Senior District Executive - an experienced successful District Executive with at least three years of experience. Responsible for the support of district operations in a particular district.

District Executive - The entry level position in the BSA. Responsible for the support of district operations in a particular district