Scholarship opportunities

Ok, what's out there specifically. I have an incoming high school student so there is not much rush here, but some of you must have Juniors. Show me the money. Eagles, Lifers, just good scouts must have lots of possibilities such as the Elks scholarship. What else is out there????

USMA offers a free ride to lots, not just scouts. Being Eagle or an SPL helps get you into there. I'm guessing the Air Force and Naval colleges do too, dont know. When my sister got her Gold Award in Girl Scouts, she got several offers. I, too, am just going into high school pretty much starting next week with football camp and all.

The military scholarships also carry with them an obligation to accept a commission upon graduation and serve an extended time on active duty. It has been years since I thought about such things, but one of our recent eagles accepted such a scholarship through the Navy. One year of school for one year of active duty. This is a very good deal unless you have serious plans that exclude military service.

West Point is 5 years active duty afterwards, and I believe some reserve duty as well, but not sure. Hey, it is a very good education and a way to serve your country as said in the Scout Oath, " ....duty God and my country...."

I was in the second class of reagan scholars and the recipient of the Reagan Scholarship (admittedly a contradicion in terms) but it was full tuition at Eureka College for four years.

Apply on-line at www.eureka.edu and good luck. Being an Eagle Scout is a huge help. It's what got it for me. You'll find my name on the site as a Reagan Alum.

DS

Many councils will also offer scholarships for Eagle Scouts, ranging from just a little to over $5000. Many will also offer scholarships for camp staff members. And don't forget the national ones. As a Cooke Scholarship recipient, I know how much they can help.