Weekend Camping Reservations

Our Council just had the opening day for weekend camping reservations for the 2006-2007 season. The process runs smoothly and is well done. I have been taking part in this process for the past four years.

The problem is that every year, the line forms earlier and earlier. This year the first guy was in line at 10 AM Saturday, for registration which starts on Monday at 8 AM. I got there at 5 AM Monday and was #32 in line.

I suggested there must be a better way to do things so that people aren't waiting outside for days and sleeping overnight at the Council office! I would think a lottery system of some sort might be fair. I know it won't please those who don't mind waiting for days, but there has to be a limit.

Anyway, I'd appreciate hearing how other Councils handle weekend camping reservations for your Scout Camp.

That's nuts!

Have everyone sign up for their weekends then hold a lottery drawing for the weekend that more than one unit wants the same site in the same camp. In council units should ALWAYS have 1st dibs!

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

We used to have this problem with sign ups for swimming lessons at the local pool. Thankfully they went to an on-line registration process that cut out all of this silliness since waiting in line for days no longer resulted in a better position. Maybe your council can do the same, in the somewhat longer term?

Lisa'bob

I want to make sure I understand you. This is for summer of 2007 camping season? Is the camp that full that you have to make a reservation that far in advance?

What happens if you can't make it on monday? What camp and council is this anyway?

• 2 weeks later...

The primary concern is with cabin rental. And yes, we are talking about the 2006- 2007 Weekend Camping program. D Bar A Scout Ranch, part of the Detroit Area Council is probably the best Scout Camp I have come across in nearly 40 years of being a Scout. I am proud to be affiliated with this Council!

While we do have numerous cabins and tent sites, our camp is used extensively on the weekends. Also, the fact that I need cabin space for 60 to 70 people on a typical weekend of Cub camping, makes it tougher. Those who can't make it on Monday have whatever is left to choose from.

Detroit Area Coucnil Scouts are campers! We just need a better way to schedule reservations!

Hey Narraticong,

I love D-Bar-A. But if you're looking for alternatives, Camp Munhacke over in Great Sauk Trail Council (between Pinckney and Dexter) is really nice for cub camping too and doesn't fill up as fast. I know it doesn't solve your problem really, but it's a thought.

Lisa'bob

Option 1: Encourage your Council to adopt the system Ed Mori suggested!!

Option 2: There comes a point where using this particular camp just is not worth the hassle any longer. Committee issues planning guidance to the PLC: Find other places. Please don't tell me this is the only available site for weekend camping in the area. There's not a farm, church camp, or state park that would not fill the bill???

Option 3: Do nothing and put up with it.

Our Council found a way to stop any such silliness.

They raised the rental rate so that no one can afford them.

This was in order to bring in extra cash.

Now the cabins sit empty most weekends.

If Her That Must Be Obeyed found out I was camped out at the Council Service Center for a weekend to book a camp site, I think I'd spend the rest of the summer camped out in the dog house.

Eamonn.

I know D-A from my days of a youth. I was part of the Blue Water Council. Considering the horses and fishing, I can't tell you another camp I would like. An option is also that a troop that had reservations now have first dibs on that same date or weekend (within reason if dates fall in the week next time) next year. This may help with predictability and keep troops coming back year after year. If a troop wants to switch with another troop, both units have to say "aye" to the council. As Silver Trails Scourt Reservation closed for summer camp, the BW Council now attends D-A. Reopen STSR and lessen the overbooking.