I have heard this from two different people who don't know each other and I believe it to be true.

A local Scout Executive, from a nearby Council was asked at the last minute to fill in a spot on the local radio. It seems the radio station had been let down by someone.

He was interviewed and talked about how good Scouting is and all that sort of stuff. Near the end of the interview he gave a list of things that the Council needed. He said how a cabin on the Council Camp site needed repair.

The next day he received a call from a Lady who said that she had heard the interview and would like to help. He was busy so he sent a DE and the Field Director.

The house they went to was a large house but looked a little shabby. In fact they joked that this was a waste of time and the Lady probably needed a hand with her cats.

The Lady said that she was interested in helping with the cabin and requested that they come back with the plans that they had. They came back at a later date with the plans for the repairs. She wasn't happy!! She asked them to come back with plans for a new Cabin. They returned twice more with plans each plan bigger than the last. By now the Lady was becoming a little frustrated, she told them that she would have her Architect draw up the plans.

In the end she wrote a check to cover the cost for a building that was anything but a cabin and since then she has paid for a new Nature Center and gives the Council about $250,000 a year.

Needless to say the SE no longer allows the DE and the Field Director to look after her. He did ask her what had made her choose the Council as her charity of choice? She said that she heard him talking about leave no trace and thought it was such a wonderful idea.

The Lord moves in mysterious ways.

Eamonn.

Great news about the cabin. Sorry to hear that the Scout Executive is now departed.

Does anyone else see the irony in donating $250,000 to build a building because you admire the Scouts for "Leave no trace?"

Unc.

Eamonn,

It was a real shock having our Scout Exec. die like that. :( He was at our Council for just under 2 years. He seemed like a really nice man. (He was not the Scout Exec. who procured the center.)

Unc. -

The woman's late husband was a real pioneer in environmental causes and the outdoors. She has given us a first-rate facility!

She's always been great to sit and talk with the Scouts when she's up visiting the camp.

Morrainemom:

I did not mean offense to the lady who gave the donation. Actually, I feel for your fallen Scout Executive and am deeply appreciative of the gift to the Boy Scouts of America.

I simply found humor and wrongly attempted to make light of someone razing ground and putting up a structure in honor of low impact camping.

I should have followed my instincts and simply saluted. A great thing happened for the boys in your council and you are all to be congratulated.

I'm sorry.

Unc.

Unc. - No offense taken - trust me, you would have felt my 'wrath' if I had!! I caught the humor in your original post and had a little chuckle myself.

Actually it's an environmental center - complete with computer lab. I guess when she heard the Scout Exec. talk about Leave No Trace it struck a chord with her.

Thanks, Moraine.

I'm a little sensitive. I remember a camp director yelling at me because I refused to take off my shoes when entering the "nature" building at the camp. I did offer to vacume the carpet when I finished walking on it, but would not take off my shoes to enter a nature building.

Taking off one's shoes to enter a nature building on a Scout camp just doesn't make sense to me.

I was afraid those that be would insist on the same kind of thing for your building.

unc.