Does anyone know if Scouting exists in Iraq or Afghanistan?

During our troop's last campout, a couple of us leaders wondered if there was any National Scout Associations in Iraq or Afghanistan. I mentioned to the other leaders that if there is, the group may have gone under ground just like those few scout units that survived the iron curtain up to the late 80's.

Just curious out here in the wide Pacific.

Matua

WOSM the World Organization of the Scouting Movement lists Iraq Scouting as having 12000 members at last count, at this time the existence of an organization is not known for sure

Afghanistan had scouting at one tome and last july steps were being taken to re-establish it.

Bob White

• 7 months later...

I stumbled over this on the net this morning -- sounds as though Scouting still survives in Iraq. I'm a bit surprised that this isn't getting more air-play -- then again, maybe I'm not. Bottom line: this is certainly encouraging.

Here's the link: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,119658,00.html

Looks like you'll need to cut and paste the link to make it work.(This message has been edited by ManyIrons)

FOG - You're lucky. Most of the posters that would take your bait only live in the Issues & Politics section. I won't tell them if you won't.

ManyIrons - Thanks for the link! That's an awesome story. I wish others would pick up on it. Great Scoutmasters Minute story, our guys take what they have for granted. They may complain about having to clean up after a meal or earn toten chip before carrying a knife, but at least they don't have a dictator trying to shut down the movement.

The fellow that got this program running is an interesting type of fellow. Retired SEAL, former CIA station chief, speaks four languages, and is a council level Scouter.

Not only all that but he seems to be an editorial cartoonist as well, unless there is another former SEAL named Chip Beck.

I e-mailed Mr. Bradle in Iraq and asked if there was anything my Pack could do to help Iraq Scouting - such as raising money or sending gear. He replied very quickly saying that they are working to raise some $4 million for rebuilding a 15 acre camp/scout HQ along the Tigris River.

Of course, I'll contact my council to get the OK before raising any money, but what a great cause this would be.

In Mr. Bradle's case - and lots of other fine men and women in Iraq and other areas - they are truely living up to the Scout Law. Helpful, Brave ...

"Of course, I'll contact my council to get the OK before raising any money, but what a great cause this would be."

They'll tell you that you'd be better off raising money for the Council and letting other people support Iraqi Scouting.