Need venture crew advice

I have recently been approached by several young ladies who are in a venture crew together. I know these girls and their crew leader pretty well from another area of scouting.

First, let me give you a little background on this group. At the moment, they are an all female group consisting of 6 girls ranging between 15 and 17 years old. The crew leader is a mother of one of the girls.

Now to the problem. They informed me that they are having problems with their crew leader. It seems that she is not being the leader they want and need. She does not care about advancement or recruitment. They are not having regular crew meetings. When they do, she tried to run everything rather than let the girls run the meetings (as they should). The leader has rumored that after they return from a group trip next month, she is dropping the job. I was told by someone not associated with the crew that the leader is about "95% sure" she is quitting. This means that the girls must either find a new leader or find a new crew to join (which there are no other crews in the surrounding districts).

Here is where it gets sticky. I asked them what they wanted to do. They said they would really like to continue being a crew together. They want to focus on recruitment as well as advancement. They then voluntarily asked me if I would be interested in being their crew leader.

I am debating this and need some advice. Here are several pros and cons that I came up with.

PROS:

- I know these girls already which would possibly shorten that awkward time of getting to know each other. I know most of their personal strengths and weaknesses.

- They are a great group who really wants to put forth the effort to build the crew through advancement and recruitment.

- Venture crews are run by the youth, with the adult leaders serving as advisors, meaning not as much work for the adult(?).

CONS:

- I have never been an adult leader of a crew, troop, pack.

- I am just now getting back into scouting after an absence during my youth. I left scouts at 15 and am returning now that I am 26.

- I am currently a new Unit Commissioner, though not in the same district as this crew.

I want to finish with this. I am NOT, repest NOT, going to try to oust the current leader from her job. If she wants to continue to be the leader, she has my blessing. Should she make the choice to quit, I will then make the decision to take over, if asked by the crew.

I guess that is enough dribble from me for now. So, should I consider the challenge of being the crew leader (if they ask)?

Thanks in advance and FIRE AWAY!

OX

First Oxcops congrats on being so well thought of by the members of the crew. The nexyt thing you need to know is that have no authority in recruiting you. That responsibility belongs to the chartering organization and Crew committee of adults. The crew members should go through them with thier recommendations.

If you want to consider this position, which by the way is Crew Advisor, crew leaders are youth members, I recommend you contact your local scouting service center ands ask to borrow a Venturing Leader Manual. read the section starting on page 18 that explains the role and responsibilities of the Advisor. That should help you to determine if you want the job.

Your primary role is to traine the Crew President and the other Crew Leaders in their administrative duties. (and to be present at every meeting and activity)

As far as knowledge and experience, the knowledge comes from training and there is plenty available and experience comes from time spend on the job.

You will also want to make sure that the Venturing (not Venture) Crew has two other Associate Advisors lined up as well, and that at least one of you are female.

Have Fun,

Bob White

Ox,

If you have the time then I say go for it. If the committee wants you as a leader then sign up. (Following BW's words of wisdom)

I was in the same boat as you last spring. After 15 years away from the program, I called the local council to find a troop I could help out with. Well the DC contacted me and gave me info on a local troop, he also "conned" me into an ADC position. :)

Now I hold "3" jobs in Scouting....ASM, ADC, and Advisor to the Vice Chief in the local lodge. (Not to mention I'm a committee member for my daughter's GS troop). That's enough on my 15 second cheap plug.

Back to the real purpose of the post...

I feel that if the Crew wants you as a leader (advisor, committee member, etc.) then sign up. The more adults involved in a unit, the better, and stronger the unit will be. Troops/Crews should be run by the youth, but need a lot of support from the adult leaders. (Hopefully all the unit adults can play together nicely.)

Also, I think if you hook up with the crew it will give you more experience for your commish job. I'm still learning about Cub Packs and Venturing Crews...

Good luck to you.

(This message has been edited by purcelce)

CONS:

- I have never been an adult leader of a crew, troop, pack.

So? you also don't have any pre-conceived ideas to re-train. Inexperience is not a problem - keeping and open mind is more important. learn & work the program - and let the kids do as much as they want to take on. Guide, don't "lead"

- I am just now getting back into scouting after an absence during my youth. I left scouts at 15 and am returning now that I am 26.

related to above - take the good and useful stuff you remember, learn the new program, and your young age will probably benefit this Crew!

- I am currently a new Unit Commissioner, though not in the same district as this crew.

Actually - in my opinion, this is a "pro" point. doesn't muddy the waters of creating a conflict of interest by holding two posts in the same area. Being a crew leader and UC will give you a common bond with the unit leaders in your district - making you more appproachable to them and more understanding of their positions and problems - you can learn from them. Being a UC in another district means you know what a uc can do to help you make your unit succeed.

I cannot tell whether you are male or female. as a venture crew you might find you retain and recruit more if you even out the ratios of male to female in the crew membership, and you then need both male and female adult advisors. perhaps this other leader would be willing to stay on as an advisor?

Laura,

I am a 26 year old police officer. While not trying to brag, I feel that I have a "slightly" higher maturity level than most people my age. Dealing with my job tends to make you grow up (even if we don't want to ;)). So I am not worried really that my age will be a serious issue. The only thing that does bother me is that I am a 26 year old guy. This is a crew of teenage girls. Just kinda opens the door for rumor or speculation (which don't terribly concern me). Guess it just means that I would have to take that extra step with the prescribed precautions, just ot eliminate any bad impressions from the outsiders.

You also said, "I cannot tell whether you are male or female. as a venture crew you might find you retain and recruit more if you even out the ratios of male to female in the crew membership, and you then need both male and female adult advisors. perhaps this other leader would be willing to stay on as an advisor?"

I am not sure that the current advisor would be open to any additional help. She is the type of person who, IMO, feels threatened by they type of thing.

As far as reruiting some male membership, I am all for it. The current crew is all for it. They formed because all the girls are best friends. The current advisor does not want any guys in the crew, because she wants to "protect" her daughter, who is a crew member. Just seems like a shallow excuse to me.

I think that I am to the point were I may follow Bob's advice and get a copy of the Venturing Leader Manual and look it over. Then, I will have a better idea of what I would be getting into should the current advisor decide to step down.

I have just a couple of other question (for now). How do I find out what org. charters this group? I know they are affiliated with a Troop somewhere, but don't know the number or charter organization. And second, once I find out who the charter org. is, should I approach the committee expressing my interest now, or wait until the current advisor quits (assuming she will)?

Thanks.

OX

OXCOPS,

That is an honor to be chosen by the youth. You must be doing something right for the young ladies to approach you to be their next Crew Advisor. Congrats . . .

Don't worry about never being an adult leader. Training is always available.

As a Crew Advisor, I've had more Fun. We've done more activities. It's a lot easier because the Crew Leaders do the job. As BW stated, All you do is train the Crew President and other Leaders. They do the rest. I like it because The Youth (boys and girls) want to be there. It is truly an all-volunteer Scouting Program. The youth are not pushed into Venturing by their parents. They want to join. They want to have Fun. I'm just there singing along.

Have Fun . . .

Matua

Ox,

Every Crew should have an Associate Advisor who is trained and able to take over for the Advisor.

Is it feasible to join the crew as an Associate?

This way you can be involved, help the current leader if she stays or be there if she leaves.

Just a thought.

Bob H

First, I want to thank everyone who has offered their comments, concerns and suggestions both in open forum and by private message. It is GREATLY appreciated.

Now, yesterday, I talked to one crew member who said that the current leader is out, effective by the end of July. No letter of resignation to the council or charter org., but she has pretty much made up her mind.

IF I do take over, I was thinking that it would really help things if I could find a female adult leader to sign on also. Out of nowhere, my wife expressed interest in volunteering with the BSA. She didn't know about the Venturing idea at the time. I told her about it and she was excited. Although she has ZERO time in the BSA, she is smart and would be easily trainable.

That is where we all stand now. I will keep everyone posted on what happens in the upcoming weeks.

Thanks again!

OX

Well, first off, Bob White is DEAD WRONG when he says the crew has no authority to recruit you as a leader. DOH! This is Venturing, not Boy Scouts. The crew selects an adult leader, presents that adult to the committee, they register, if they pass and are accepted by the CO, that is the new leader. Done deal. But, be aware if you are a male, you will need a female Advisor as well or you can forget outdoor outings.

I have been through all of this with our crew which is 5 boys and 4 girls. It's tough getting the female Advisors, but we did it, and you can too. Don't get discouraged, just make it work and good luck.

ASM514

Hey Bob, I can recite it, can you? Being CO of a crew and Troop I have to know the rules. In Ventureing, Crew Rules..... Committee approves or denies, CO signs off on the decisions or denies. Maybe you should read the Venture Leaders Handbook

ASM514

ASM514, I'm glad you can recite the manual, I find it hard to believe, but I'm happy for you.

Then you already know that nowhere does the BSA give the responsibility or authority of adult selection to the youth members in any program. In fact if you recall page 18 'Volunteer Leadership Position Descriptions of Adult Leaders' sub-heading Chartered Organization the second bullet reads (shall we recite it together?) "Recruits adult advisors and committee members".

Then on the same page under the sub-heading "Charter Organization Representative" it says "His or her primary job is to recuit the crew committee and help it to recruit an Advisor and associate Advisors."

On Page 19, in a continuation of the sub-heading "Crew Committee" in the second paragraph..."The crew committee sees to it that the crew has an Advisor and at least one associate Advisor at all times. If a vacancy occurs a crew committee member becomes the temporary Advisor. The committee takes immediate steps to recruit the right person to fill the vacancy."

If there is any reference to the youth selecting adult leadership I missed it in the Handbook and in the training syllabus. Please refresh my memory, where exactly did you get your information. The Venture Leaders Manual you recommend that I read does not exist. Venture is a patrol in a troop. The BSA does publish a Venturing Leaders Handbook but the the Crew Rules you suggest I read does not exist in that handbook. There is a section on Crew Code and Bylaws, but it says nothing of crew members selecting adult leadership.

Since you have it memorized, pointing to the reference should be know problem. (by the way I find it much easier to not memorize the Handbooks but to just look it up as I need the information, that way I minimize making unfounded statements.)

Last question, how does one get to be a CO (Charter Organization)? I know individuals who are Institutional Heads (IH), Charter Organization representatives (COR), and Committee Chairs (CC). But how is a person a CO?

Bob White

>Last question, how does one get to be a CO (Charter Organization)? I know individuals who are Institutional Heads (IH), Charter Organization representatives (COR), and Committee Chairs (CC). But how is a person a CO?

By being a CEO and owner of a corporation. How does that grab your Boy Scout Socks?

ASM514