Conflict of Interest ? COR, Comm. Chair & ASM

Please advise if BSA allows or strongly disallows an individual to hold 3 positions at the same time.....COR, Committee Chair & ASM.

Please also advise where I can find such information.

Thank you

David, ASM

The Scoutmaster is not allowed to charter in any other position within the same unit other than SM. The same holds true with all registered adult positions within the troop with the exception of the Chartered Organization Representative who is allowed to dual register as a Committee Member.

You can find this information in the rechartering instrauctions available through your local Council service center. Ask to speak to the Registrar.

Bob White

Bob is correct, except that the chartered organization representative may multiple as the committee chairman as well as a member of committee. I don't think this should be the case, but it is acceptable by BSA rules.

However, if the chartered partner has one or more charters, i.e., a pack, and troop, or the full family of Scouting, it is allowed only one chartered organization representative. It must be the same individual for each unit held by the chartered organization.

Under no circumstances can the CC, COR and ASM (or as Bob points out, SM) be the same person.

These rules can be found in short in the Registrar's Manual at your council service center, or with some digging, the Rules and Regulations of the Boy Scouts of America. An abbreviated version -- help me out here, Bob, I don't have one with me -- can be found on the inside cover of the adult application.

DS

I concur with The Man of Steele and BW. This raises an interesting question. Why is this an issue in your unit? Is a single individual actually performing all these roles? There have to be different names in these positions, but are they merely phantoms?

BW, DS:

In the case of the Institutional Head, Can that individual register as a Scouter other than COR and CC positions? Can the IH register as a SM, CM, or any unit Scouter not in Committee?

My understanding is that the IH is not a registered member of BSA only the COR.

I'm currently the IH for my chartered organization and I'm also the Scoutmaster, Cubmaster, and Crew Advisor. I am not in the committee nor do I have any intentions of serving in the unit committee until I have replacements. (That's not until next year). I need clarification.

Matua

Thanks DS you are correct of course.

Yes Matua, since the IH is not a registered member of the BSA, he or she can hold any registered position in the Unit.

Think of it like a church choir. The Minister (IH) can sing in the choir and still be a minister. They can even lead the choir and still be a minister.

The choir director (COR) can head or serve on the choir committee and remain the director.

But a member of the choir (SM) can only sing one part at a time.

:)

Bob White

Thank you all for your input.

To answer eisely......yes, we have one individual wearing three hats, namely, COR, Committee Chair and ASM.

Okay, we have established that the above is a big No No.

Another question, can he wear both hats - COR and SM ?

Please advise and thanks again.

David

Thanks BW. I believe I finally got it.

An individual can be a COR AND Committee Chair.

An individual CANNOT be a COR AND SM.

An individual CANNOT be a COR, Committee Chair AND ASM.

Please confirm and thanks.

David

You are correct. Now get ready for the other shoe to drop.

What caused this situation? If it was lack of parental help the individual will probably enjoy your assistance in lightening his administrative load.

If the problem is a personal ego trip then when he gives up being the ASM position he will probably remove your membership from the troop. An act he has the authority to do as the COR and committee chair.

Bob White

Regret to say it is a personal ego trip for him. And yes, you are right that he can drop me just like that. It does not make a lot of sense that an individual can have some much authority. Now comes another question......how can defectors form a new troop without a formal charter organization? Can a group of 10 adults approach the DE and get chartered?

Just curious.

David