I remember being tapped out almost 30 years ago. I'm not sure if it was the "Taps" or the surprise but it is something that still brings good memories. Those were some memorable taps aqnd I for one wouldn't mind seeing them make a comeback.

That's what I thought and that's what many think but someone up the chain of command (most likely an "advisor") thought differently years ago.

The electees are sent a letter which includes a medical form for ordeal and told to bring it to call out. It is common knowledge that if you don't get the letter, you weren't elected. The call out is held as an event seperate from any other Scouting event.

The result is that only the electees bother to show up. That's not just my son's troop, that's the entire district. Apparently, the idea of being there to support your friends is foreign to everyone.

It seems that parents were perturbed with driving aaaaaaalllll the way to the call out (maybe 10 miles from the most distant point in the district) and then having to drive home with a disappointed son.

Also, as one of the advisors told me, "if we don't let them know in advance, they won't come to the call out." So? I know for a fact that if you don't go to the call out, they'll still let you go to ordeal. Why wouldn't a boy go to call out? Soccer practice, baseball, a date . . . after all this is just Scouts, it's not something important.

I don't like the system but I'm not in charge, I'm not even an advisor.

GW,

The good news is that what you describe isn't standard OA operating procedure. The bad news is that your council/lodge is getting the cart before the horse. We too send out a letter with a health form.....after the call out and before the Ordeal. You can view it here. http://www.manu133.org/documents/candidateletter.pdf When my son and I were elected into OA, our troop had already made our annual plan and we had a conflict the weekend of district camporee. In our case, our SM notified us since we wouldn't be at the call out. Bend the chapter and lodge advisor's ear about where the cart and horse belong. Encourage them to make call out part of the district camporee or summer camp as many other councils do. Keep it a mystery until the call out and then send them a welcome letter, registration and health forms for the Ordeal. I think everyone would be happier and you would have a healthier lodge as a result. Just my two cents.