brotherhood testing

At the ordeal weekend for my chapter (this past weekend) we were told that almost a year ago national had determined that Brotherhood testing was prohibited, because it was hazing. This doesn't seem reasonable to me, and I can't find anything to support this statement. Has anyone heard this before? Does anyone know of a RECENT BSA Publication (preferably this calander year) that either explicitly or implicitly allows for them?

Thanks,

Eric

Meamemg, by Brotherhood testing do you mean some sort of exam to determine if an Ordeal member has met the five challenges of Brotherhood membership and that passing this exam is required to become a Brotherhood member? If so, I think banning this test is a good thing. The first four challenges are really a personal, internal thing for each member. The fifth is an evaluation and public statement of the candidates desire to seal membership in the Brotherhood. Who are we to tell an Ordeal member that they are not ready for this?

SWScouter

To specifically answer your question, ask your Lodge C-team chief, Lodge Advisor, or professional Staff Advisor...

My Lodge moved away from the Brotherhood interview to the group Nemat trail ... 3 seasons ago. We've had several different forms of the questions for the stops on the trail. I'm not sure there is a standard format yet.

We review, in a group format, the same basic knowledge found in the old Brotherhood questionaire.

Hope that helps...

my lodge has an interview with the brotherhood candidate and a brotherhood/vigil member. (in sight of others so not to violate YP) They are asked to recite the song, obligation, asked questions about the ceremony, etc. If a perrson does not know these things then the interviewer works with him until he has them memorized. Everyone knows that it is impossible to fail this test, that if you don't do so good u will immediately receive the help you need and will be allowed to recieve brotherhood.

Eric,

Since I'm an adult, I don't have a vote anymore. I gave that up in 1977. I do what the youth want.

First and foremost, if the National Committee sets a policy, Lodges have somewhat limited discretion in implementing it. If the basis of a new policy is implementing an element of the G2SS, then the discretion drops to *NONE WHATSOEVER*.

As far as the supporting documents behind the Nemat procedure (vice the brotherhood interview), you know who to contact in your Lodge and Council.

I will simply say this: Tamegonit (ex 147), Heart of America Council, implemented the Nemat program in 2003. It was done by vote of the LEC.

Over the three years, what we've actually done on the hike has not fully stabilized, but we're working on that.

Hope this helped.(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)

• 3 months later...

Help!

At a national level training conferance this summer I learned that Brotherhood "testing" is no longer done.

When I brought this up in our Lodge, everyone was surprised. Brotherhood testing will be conducted at our fall ordeal since no one seems to be able fo find the National directive that directs a change from testing.

I did explain that a scout is honest and if the scout says he has learned the necessary parts, then he has. While the "Brotherhood hike" was not fully explained to me, I did suggest to our folks that I would imagine that it involves moments of thought and reflection.(which is mentioned in some of the posts here)

This thread leads me to believe that our lodge should not be testing. Our staff advisor, lodge advisor and lodge chief are unaware of the "new" brotherhood conversion method.

Could someone help me to find current information that explains or 'defines' the botherhood conversation without the testing?

The only place I have found something concrete so far is in the current Guide to Inductions, page 50, the Brotherhood Induction.(I have a copy of the current or about to be current booklet,there is not a date on it anywhere.) Is there anything else out there?

Thanks.