yard/rummage sale

With the quote from BSA's Unit Money-Earning Application -

"The product must not detract from the ideals and principles of the BSA."

Would a Garage/Yard/Rummage sale be considered a good Unit Fundraiser within the eyes of the BSA? Have any units had issues trying to get such a sale approved? I have seen a few links that show such a sale as a good source of funds. Are there different requirements between Troops and Packs?

If Council will not approve of such a fundraiser, would it be legitimate for a CO, such as a school PTO, to hold the sale and give the funds to the Pack? Can the CO give the funds to a Pack as a means of supporting their Pack?

Thanks for all responses!

When a Council rejects a unit fundraiser it does not mean that you cannot do the fundraiser, It means you cannot associate Scouting in any way with the fundraiser; No Scout uniforms, no scout emblems, no mention of scouting orally or in print. No use of scouting affiliation during the advertising, the event or any followup activity (such as product or service delivery) after the event.

An outside organization such as a PTO doing a fundraising can give the proceeds to whomever they choose. If the BSA name and images are not invloved in any way then no Money Earning application need be filed for approval.

Several years ago we had great success with a yard sale. Held on Saturday morning at the church parking lot. We collected stuff for 2 months ahead of time and stashed it all in a rented locker (the fee was donated!). Unloaded the locker on Friday night and had Scouts camp out on the church lawn that night for security. We netted about $1900 as I recall. By noon we were picked clean and the traffic had dried up. We took all the leftovers to the local Goodwill and re-donated them. Win-win!

Our troop has a yard sale every summer just before attending summer camp and departing for our high adventure trip. It sounds a lot like Trev's. We collect and store donations all throughout the year. The last 3 years, we made between $3,000 and $5,000 each year. It's our bread and butter fundraiser.

If your Council won't approve it, find another way to make it happen. Scouts are resourceful ;).

Our troop has been holding a Rummage Sale for almost 20 years now, and it has built up to where we clear over $2,000 for one day's work. And we get to clan out our garages, attics, closets, etc. It's also a great fellowship type activities, as almost every family gets involved. I can;t see where this would conflict with any BSA policy. If it does, SO WHAT??

Thanks for everyone's feedback. I was hoping to get some positive posts. Nobody in our Pack has done this before, but we are looking for something that would generate some money for a new Pinewood Derby Track. Our old one is pretty bad. We have borrowed a nice aluminum track for last year and this year. Our CC wasn't sure if this would fly with Council, so I wanted to get some opinions. I'll let her know that we should proceed. We have several leaders who are enthused to do this, for the clearing our garages and to generate some funds.

Thanks again,

rjscout

Your best bet is to call someone at council and just ask. Chances are good that lots of units in your district and council do this sort of thing and as long as the paperwork is filled out properly, the council folks will nod their heads in approval.

Howbout organizing an outdoor activity yard sale for the Scout District/Council? Used tents, boots, stoves, ?old Uni's, all sorts of gear and stuff. Get the local outfitters stores to help with the PR, (!) donate stuff for auction, make it "an affair to remember".