Reasons for Unit Fundraisers

Having a kitchen up to code for a caterer & requiring the use of a food service company is completely different.

CNYScouter,

Are all units who sell popcorn inspected prior to selling?

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

OK, I should have said that anyone/group preparing and/or cooking food, and selling/giving it to the General public, such as Lenten Fish Fry, needs to have a Food Service permit.

Our CO has a Club House with a kitchen.

It does not hold fundraisers such as Spagetti Dinners and only uses it for cokking Sunday Dinner for club members doesn't have a Food Service permit.

As Popcorn is not being prepared or cooked you don't need a Food Service permit to sell it.

In my state & town if you are cooking & selling food you need a permit, a foodservice certified person in charge (there is a course & test they must take & pass), and be inspected by the local Health Dept.

The same is needed for the schools to provide hot lunches.

Pre-packaged food like popcorn, candy, nuts, cookies, etc, are not subject to the same regulations. At least the end users/sellers are not. I am sure the factories where the food is produced does have its own health & foodservice regulations to follow.

• 2 weeks later...

As LisaBob (and others) said, CHECK WITH YOUR COUNTY HEALTH DEPARTMENT before planning a food based fundraiser. If there are two counties in the Nation which have identical procedures for non-profit fundraiser dinners (or B/G banquets for that matter), I will be amazed.

Also, remember that there are limits on the number of fundraisers a Pack/Troop/Team/Crew may have in a year. Your DE, Council Business Manager, or SE will be able to give you that information and cite its source.

Finally, fundraisers other than popcorn ideally should have council pre-approval. There is a form, similar to the Tour Permit. It serves the same purpose as the Tour Permit: Make sure you've done your planning.

Fellow Scouters,

Just an FYI..

On the Trails End Popcorn webpage. There usually is an "Ideal Year of Scouting".xls Microsoft Excel formatted file. If your unit sales popcorn or not, anyone should be able to download this easy to use file.

It helps with planning an annual budget. Most of our fellow posters have eluded to it. But if you compare the advancement and advancement cost between Cub Scout program, the Boy Scout program, and the Venturing Program.

A good Cub Scout Pack averages around 40 boys. Some Packs down to 20, some Packs upwards to 60-70. The count recognition each month, ranks, parents pins, belt loops, immediate recognition kit, handbooks, neckerchief slides, etc. Then program cost, museum visits, Blue and Gold, any of the derbies. There are even more cost than this, I'm sure everyone can think of.

All Cub Scout Packs need a good Pack Committee Treasurer to keep up with in incoming and outgoing funds.

My bottom line is, I would encourage every Committee Chair or Treasurer to check out the Ideal Year of Scouting, excel file. This simple tool will help them plan on how much of an annual budget is needed. Then present to the Committee the Budget Plan, then proceed to the Unit Money Earning Project (s) application.

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv