Question about a Pack Bake Sale

We were told this also when my son was a Webelo. It didn't make sense to me after reading the fundraising guidelines, which I thought were fairly clear about providing goods or services "at a fair price."

That said, we followed our council's instructions and went on the "donation" basis. And were surprised to find that we made enormously more than we would have had we established pricing -$200 in a matter of a couple of hours, on probably no more than $75 worth of cupcakes, brownies and such at normal bake sale pricing. Yes, a few folks (mostly young children) scammed off with giving a nickel or penny for a cupcake. But these were overwhelmingly outnumbered by the gentlemen who stuffed folding money into our jar - up to a couple of tens and one twenty. Plus, some donated and declined their goodies ("I'm dieting" or "diabetic" - "give it to the next child that wants one and hasn't any money..."...which instruction we followed.)

So it ain't necessarily a bad thing.

Julia

Well thanks... I hope it all works out. I am unsure because we are going to a military base where there are mainly unmarried young men, some not even drinking age. The government sure doesn't pay much and I don't think I was too generous at that age as far as charities and things. These guys don't really get "home-cooked meals" so We'll see! I prefer to have a price set but perhaps we'll be better off.

Well I am glad we didn't make up prices because it rained all day and I only had one cub scout show up to "help" and all he did was run around and jump up and down in the puddles! Good thing I had my almost Tenderfoot Boy Scout with me or I'd have been selling by myself at that military camp. If it weren't for the two Eagle Scouts that gave me $20 each and the many others who gave a buck but didn't take food, we'd have been sunk!

There were other leaders and cub scouts at two separate military camps within our jurisdiction. I guess between the 3 points of sale, we made about $350. BIG DEAL! But.... better than nothing!

I ended up "donating" about 80 cupcakes, 45 brownies, two cakes and 8 dozen cookies to the church (Our CO). This wasn't quite the way we wanted the bake sale to turn out but oh well!

Thanks for all the replies!