Well, what do you know...

Moose wrote: "Who said anything about force?.. All they voiced was opinion. Perhaps more people may take note of their opinions over that of you or me. But, all it is is an opinion.."

I disagree. When the President of the United States gets up before the cameras and makes a statement that the BSA is wrong in it's membership restrictions, people hear an official statement from a goverment official. Otherwise, why is this a story? Why is it newsworthy?

Moose went on to write: "Did you hear anything about either of them taking action against BSA to force them to close their doors if they did not change their ways? In fact Obama said it is a fine institution, but..."

Yes I did, and so did you. You said so yourself "... more people may take note of their opinions over that of you or me." Why is that Moose? Does his office give him a greater moral position over you and I? Does President Obama have a more enlightened view than you or I?

Why is that important? Because he is the President and can use his office as a bully pulpit to push popular opinion against the BSA policy, and force a change to the "wrongness" within a "...fine institution, but..." to that which suits his superior way of thinking.

We are in the organization. Why is his opinion greater than ours? Why is he right and I wrong?

All I am saying is that he should not use the BSA as his political whipping boy. If he does not agree with our policies, he should step down as Honorary President of the BSA. Acccepting a position of honor, then using it to further your creds with a group of campaign contributors is un-Scoutlike.

And neither should Mitt Romney. This is what irks me, using the BSA.

Well I doubt either of them had an Opinion on Chick-fil-a..

I just don't see the Presidential caravan pulling up to a Chick-fil-a drive through.. Nor do I see filthy-rich Romney even knowing about fast-food restraunts.. Probably would get the same eeeww factor as the 7/11 store bought cookies.

Seems to me like a first for Romney & Obama to agree on anything since Romney got into the presidential race?

Actually Moose, both do have an opinion on Chic-fil-A. Both eat at chic-fil-A.

"While gay activists have staged boycotts of the chain since then, expenditure records at Political Moneyline show that on June 29, 2012 Obama for America spent $62 at Chick-fil-A in Atlanta, Ga.

While the money the campaign spent is pittance in comparison to Obamas overall re-election expenditures, it clashes with the presidents recent endorsement of gay marriage and Chick-fil-As foray into the gay marriage debate."

"Romney for President Inc. has spent over $500 at Chick-fil-A this election cycle."

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2910706/posts

As to Romney supporting gays in scouting, his actual quote says that although he persoanlly feels that anyone should be able to join Scouting, he supports the BSA's right to exclude whomever it wants.

"In contrast to Obama, Republican candidate Mitt Romney does have a public position on the Scouts' policy -- he politely disagrees with it.

Back in 1994, during a political debate in Massachusetts, Romney said this: "I support the right of the Boy Scouts of America to decide what it wants to do on that issue. I feel that all people should be able to participate in the Boy Scouts regardless of their sexual orientation."

http://www.the-daily-record.com/ap%20lifestyle/2012/08/03/as-eagle-scouts-return-medals-gay-ban-still-firm

So while both may agree that LBGT should be allowed to join, one disagrees with the BSA's right to choose whom it associates with, one supports the BSA's right.(This message has been edited by cchoat)

Well the campaign spending is not the same as the person in question spending. This was probably some lowly person on the campaign trail using their food allowance at Chick-fil-a.

I don't see either Obama nor Romney actually eating there. But, I doubt either supported the silly boycott or Chick-fil-a appreciation day either..

Presidential opinion may be something news worthy. It may be something people will discuss. But not everyone will do what the President believes in. In fact Republicans will do the exact opposite of what Obama wants.

So think about it. BSA is already loosing liberals and is becoming pretty much an organization for conservatives. In otherwords will attract more Republicans then Democrates..

Put up a big PR sob story about BSA being misunderstood and picked on by the mean old boogie man Obama.. Call a "BSA appreciation day" during recruitment day, and maybe you too can have your own Chick-fil-a success story.

I would imagine some Liberal minded corporations may think twice about their money contributions to BSA.. But, you may find new support among the conservatives who will want to oppose the President..

But, go at it cchoat, you almost have your Sob story perfected.

Yes Trevorian, it has certainly rained on their campfire down in Irving. Imagine a world where both candidates in a presidential election are critical of the Boy Scouts of America. In fact, it is the only thing that they presently agree on. They really need to ask themselves, "how did we bring ourselves to this point... and how do we correct our course." I hope for the sake of scouting that they figure it out.

Obama called the BSA policy discrimination (it is) and that he opposes this policy that discriminates on basis of sexual orientation. He also stated that the Boy Scouts is a valuable organization that has helped educate and build character in American boys for more than a century.

Romney has stated in the past that all people should be able to participate in the Boy Scouts regardless of their sexual orientation. Now, I now he said that during a debate with Kennedy quite a few years ago, not sure what his most recent statements have been.

Neither has stated that private organizations do not have the right to set membership policies nor do they feel the BSA should be forced into a position. Both simply stated they disagree with the present policy.