article: Potomac Falls woman removed from son’s Boy Scout troop

So hopefully with showing the exact wording of others on the subject I have corrected anything I mis-spoken

Yah, da thing is, yeh can quote exact wording of anything and still not understand what it really means, eh? I've seen amateurs do that with law texts, I'm sure packsaddle has seen amateurs do it with biology texts. Disciplines require time and study to understand, eh? Learning takes more than just google.

Da Catholics I know have a very sophisticated and highly nuanced understandin' of the role of the papacy, and for them, da word that gets translated as "infallible" is a term of art, eh? It has a technical, specialized meaning that is different from da common English meaning. Same with da term "vicar". If we are to avoid prejudice and bias, it is not enough just to grab random quotes. It is important to understand da terms as they understand the terms. To respect da culture, and learn a bit of its native language.

No Catholic would ever claim that God was "only ever so slightly above" the pope. That's just a statement of simple, and somewhat ugly, prejudice.

Calico, weatherman was moosetracker's analogy. Mine is da comparison between climatologists and ministers. ;)

Beavah(This message has been edited by Beavah)

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe "infallible" in Roman Catholism refers to infallibility in interpretation of doctrine and is, in "the church" a concept that is fairly new -maybe a century or so old. Unlike the BSA it has the advantage of getting a "final word" on a matter of doctrine (well until some other guy over turns it). Infallibility does not refer to issues like the weather.

That said when I was a good catholic I had issues of conscience on matters that had the final stamp of decision; so I left. If I stay in the club I play by that clubs rules.

I did not start off grabbing from Google until you told me I was mis-quoting. Then I went and grabbed from google. Before that it is what I has gotten out of discussions.. Since you said I mis-quoted I went out and pulled from the first site I saw explaining it. Accept for a mis-spoken word between Vassal & Vicar (Vassal being the relationship to god of a normal church goer, vicar being what the Pope is described to be..) The internet, pretty much explained it the same way I have had it explained to me..

But, you are right, somewhere in all of that they must see something in it that makes it seem to them to hold a closer connection to God.. Whatever that "art form" was, it was lost on my husband and his catholic friends, who never were comfortable with the whole idea, even though brought up Catholic. Nor my Catholic friend from high school. I also never got the artistic meaning discussing it with a catholic preist either.. So whatever it is, it must take a while to learn it, and many people never learn it. It also must be hard to explain..

"term of art" means a technical term that has a special meaning within a discipline. For example, within physics, "conservation" as in "conservation of energy/momentum" has a technical meaning that presupposes a certain underlyin' mathematical structure. It's not the same as being a conservationist.

In da same way, "term of art" has nuthin' whatsoever with being artistic.

But that does illustrate how if yeh don't know an area, or haven't studied it, yeh can read words but not really understand their meaning, whether it's "term of art" or "infallible". Doesn't matter if yeh were baptized Catholic if yeh didn't actually spend da time to learn about your religion. Which is why just asking your husband or his social circle is not as good as askin' a priest or bishop or theologian. Learning matters. Study matters. Experience matters. Just like askin' my professional colleagues or some state governor about how evolution works is about hopeless. In fact, it might convince yeh that evolution is a crock. Yeh need to ask a biologist.

Or remain ignorant.

Beavah

(This message has been edited by Beavah)

Church every Sunday, and brought up in a Catholic school. Not Catholic but never going to church Catholic. His Aunt was a Nun. So I would not call him or his circle of friends ignorant on the subject.

But, you have peeked my interest to try the subject out again on a different Catholic priest sometime in the future, to see if another priest can come up with your perspective on the subject.